Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-19-2010, 08:25 PM

Default A gun question...

I know this isn't a fishing question, but I thought posting it here would generate the most attention. So, I have wanted a .45 cal 1911 model pistol for a while. I am torn between paying an extra $300 for a Colt or just going with a Taurus. I've heard good things about Taurus, and most people seem to say that a 1911 is a 1911. I was wondering if anyone had any experience or suggestions.

I guess since I am planning on carrying this while on the water, it is a fishing-related question. haha!
Old 04-19-2010, 08:55 PM

I agree that all 1911's are tough and reliable, but, for carrying, Taurus would be more difficult since they only make full size 1911's. Colt makes some more compact ones that are much lighter and easier to carry. The Colt Defender is really nice. Springfield, Kimber, and Para Ordnance make some nice compact ones as well, and they are in the price range of the Colt.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:35 PM

I really like 1911's and the 45acp round (S&W and maybe Tarus also makes a revolver chambered for the 45acp that is a good shooting firearm).

If money were not a huge issue, I'd go for a Colt, Kimber, Springfield or Para Ordinance over the Tarus. Tarus is a well made rugged firearm for sure. I've handled a couple but never shot one of the Tarus 1911 style.

I've shot all of the others I've mentioned and they are very well made, accurate and reliable with a wealth of "after market" parts one can use to customize it. Everything from different springs, triggers, grips, you name it.

I find them all very accurate and even qualified for my CCW permit with a 45acp (not a 1911 style but a Ruger P90).

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them.

Jeff
Old 04-19-2010, 10:55 PM

If you can find one, Charles Daly(went out of business in January) and Kimber, until last year, made compact 1911's with a polymer frame that held 10 rounds of .45acp caliber. I had one of the Kimbers. Great gun and lightweight with the polymer frame.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:25 AM

I spent the weekend up in Kentucky turkey hunting, and we visited a dear old family friend while we were in the area. I hadn't seen him since I was about 14 (about 15 years ago), and we had a nice visit. The reason I mention it is because he showed me his pistol collection, and he had a number of Colts and S&Ws. You can buy whatever you want, but IMHO, if you want a gun that is going to hold value or possibly even appreciate in value, don't buy the Taurus. Those Colts are really nice, and I reckon I'm on the market for one myself. Gun show is coming up next month
Old 04-20-2010, 11:15 AM

I have owned and still own several 1911 type .45's, from a custom Wilson Combat, a Kimber Pro Carry, a Colt, and a Springfield Armory. They are all good firearms, but my opinion is that the Colt carried the higher price not because of the quality, but because of the name. I would say that the Kimber and Wilson's were the best quality of the firearms I have owned. Having said that the Springfield .45 were good guns and had options on sizing and were a little lower priced. I don't think you could really go wrong with any of those makers with a 1911 style gun.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:18 PM

I have a couple Colts and any extra money I spent was well worth it.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 04-20-2010, 09:32 PM

I have the taurus pt145 - subcompact .45, holds 11 rounds total...as much as I wanted a fullsize I wanted portability with the most bang for the buck...shoots fine and does the job.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:55 PM

For the money, springfield makes a good 1911, I own Taurus revolvers but I opt for Kimbers for carry guns. I don't like the polymer as well because they are thicker than a single stack. I prefer a thin carry gun, regardless of grip or barrell length. I shoot my 1911's competetively and have a lot of confidence in their capabilities. Other than a 10mm, 45 is a very capable carry round. Good luck with the Turkey hunting in Kentucky, this is a great year for 2 year old birds up here, we actually had 4 different people fill their tag opening day from just one blind on our lease.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:46 PM

M249 S.A.W by Frabique Nationale...it's all you need