Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-21-2010, 07:12 AM

Default More Paving

There was an article this morning on Knoxnews.com about an additional $12.2M in stimulus funding going to GSMNP, most of which is going towards additional paving. An excerpt from that article reads:
The Smokemont Campground is already being repaved with just over $2 million in stimulus funds. It is closed but scheduled to reopen after the work is finished May 27.
A $1.3 million contract to pave three parking areas and repave all the connecting roads between the Little River Trailhead and Elkmont Historic District also has been awarded. The area will be closed between July 6 and Aug. 31.
For sure, there will be work-arounds as far as getting access to the Little River Trail but not nearly as convenient as the current parking.

The entire article can be read at: http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/ap...funds/?print=1

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 04-21-2010, 09:03 AM

Default Elkmont Historic District

I'm not quite sure where the Elkmont Historic District is. I was thinking it was at the Little River Trailhead. Or are they just going to repave from the trailhead up through where noone goes anyhow. I'm confused
Old 04-21-2010, 10:06 AM

Guys/Gals,

My dad, brother and I were planning on going up to Elkmont next week. Are there any construction issues we need to be aware of? Also, any suggestions on where not to go...don't expect you to tell me all the good secret places but I'd like to eliminate some that are not as productive.

Thanks,

Joel
Old 04-21-2010, 10:23 AM

As with most places in the park the higher up you go there fewer people you will encounter and the less fishing pressure on the fish....about the only area of Elkmont that I have avoided thru the years is the section just above the old turnaround...one mile above the trailhead....once you get there the trail makes one of the few uphill grades on the trip to the forks of the river....there are some huge, deep runs in this section but it is rough fishing....you can see this water from the trail and make your own decision...it all depends on how far you like to walk...you can jump in just about anywhere and catch fish.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:12 AM

Buzz,
The Elkmont Historic District includes the area around the first part of the Little River Trail with all the old cabins there but should include the area of cabins the run along Jakes Creek. There is a road through the cabins along Jakes Creek and I would assume that this is where some of the repaving is going to take place.

JoelO,
There is no indication of any near-term construction, just the July 6 to August 31 work.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com