Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-26-2010, 10:49 AM

Dude, that is awful. I hope your buddy gets to feeling better soon!
Old 04-26-2010, 09:06 PM

Sorry to hear about your fishing buddy. Glad he's getting better.

We saw 2 snakes up Elkmont last week. One was for sure a garter snake about 18" long. The other we didn't get that close of a look at. My son sat on a rock to tie his boots and steped on the thing and it crawled back under the rock. It was under a bunch of leaves. Needless to say, he found a different rock. He said it was dark color. It was in the same area we saw the garter snake so I would reckon it was the same species, I hope...

Jeff
Old 04-26-2010, 09:37 PM

Default Thanks for the concern!

He seemed to be much better weekend before last. I heard that it is good to give them benedryl (sp?) asap. I would also say it is a good idea to tie them up, or pen them for a couple of days. He laid still for a day, didn't even eat, and this dog never passes up food!
The 3rd day he felt better, and followed me up the creek for a couple of hours. He stayed on his feet all day long, and the whole time his ankle bled. That leg was easily twice the size of his right leg. That evening he laid down, and didn't move the next day, which made me think he should have been tied up, or penned. I'd hate to think how much blood he lost. He would have improved more quickly, I think had he moved less. Still with any dog, an injury takes a lot of life from them. But what a life a dog has up on Snowbird Creek, room to roam, plenty of people to mooch food from........ and a big creek to play in whenever you want. That dog is rarely dry it seems! I think he will be fine though. It has been proven by the way, that a dog's saliva does have some antibiotic properties.
Best,
John
Old 04-27-2010, 06:39 AM

Hope your buddy gets better soon! Thanks for the reminder of the snakes. Growing up in NC, we were always weary of copperheads and cotton-mouths when fishing any body of water. Hope we all stay safe when we head outdoors.

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 04-27-2010, 10:25 AM

Default You might consider

giving him a nutritional supplement called "MSM". You can buy it at healthfood stores or Walmart and it is great for helping get rid of toxins and promotes healing. We had a lady here in Florida that noticed her dog had been (she thought stung) on the nose and it's nose was swolllen, so she rubbed some lotion with MSM in it on the dogs nose. Over the weekend her dog did better, but on Monday she took him to the Vet to get things checked out. The Vet told her that her dog had been snake bit and as best he could tell it was multiple strikes by a rattler, he also credited the MSM with saving her dog's life.

We had a stray cat several years ago that we rescued, he was tore up by raccoons and almost dead. One of his front legs looked like a chicken drumstick that had a huge bite taken out of it. The Vet said he could patch him up and that he would live, but that he'd never regain use of that leg or paw. We fed him MSM and rubbed lotions with it on his wounds just tring to get the wounds to close up and healo, Over time we noticed the wounds not only healed, but the muscle, skin, and even his hair grew back, after several weeks you couldn't tell he had ever been hurt.

Mike

PS: It's great for people also :O)
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 04-27-2010, 11:39 AM

Lightbulb

I would rather get bit than my dog getting bit. Glad you buddy is doing better. Make sure he gets plenty of water. That is the best way to flush his system and to get back to normal. You can use a baby food aspirator to give him water if he is not taking it from his bowl. He will be difficult with you; but, it will make him feel much better if you can get a few full drizzles down his throat. This is a good way to give him benadryl too by crushing it up before you open the pack and mixing in a little water.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 04-27-2010, 10:04 PM

PA was that a copperhead or a rattler. Looks more like a copperhead. I haven't seen one in forever. I have never seen a rattler. Not beacuse I haven't been to all the right places though. I guess I sound like a bigfoot coming through the woods and water so they steer clear of me!

STU
Old 04-28-2010, 09:52 AM

I don't mind seeing a water snake swim by my waders, but I have a strong
dislike of rattlesnakes. I read somewhere that rattlesnakes can swim.
I hope I never find out for sure.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart View Post
PA was that a copperhead or a rattler. Looks more like a copperhead. I haven't seen one in forever. I have never seen a rattler. Not beacuse I haven't been to all the right places though. I guess I sound like a bigfoot coming through the woods and water so they steer clear of me!

STU
100% rattlesnake.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 04-28-2010, 10:43 AM

Rivergal...not to spoil your fun but a couple of years ago my buddy and I were fishing at Greenbrier just below the Ramsey Cascade trailhead when a big timber rattler came swimming down the river between us...a sight to behold....**** thing lodged itself on a small rock in the middle of the river and watched as my friend took its photo...