Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-28-2010, 10:43 AM

Yeah, definitely a rattlesnake...it was stretched out near the stream sunning before I made it grouchy and it started rattling at me...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-28-2010, 11:39 AM

Rog 1, Thanks for the verification of a swimming rattlesnake at Greenbriar. Is it against park rules to drown a rattlesnake?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:04 PM

Sure the rangers would frown on such but it does happen...my same friend found a huge rattler just above the cottages at Elkmont that had drown in the high water from the remnants of a hurricane one year...the snake was smelling up a log jam formed in the high water
Old 04-30-2010, 10:34 PM

Default Yellow Dog

Poor yellow dog . . . he will never pass up a fishing trip with you.
I like that picture. It proves how he follows you everywhere.

Talk to ya later,
M

BTW - have you been catching any fish @ Snowbird? Stockers or have they been fished out?
Old 05-02-2010, 09:37 PM

Default swimmin' serpents

Glad to hear the pup's recovering. Like stated previously, I too would rather get bitten than a good fishin' buddy.

As for the swimmin' snakes, i belive most snakes in the US can swim to some extent. According to most books i've read regarding snakes, I can't recall ever encountering a species that was completely hydrophobic (some just prefer water more than others). I spooked a racer a couple of weeks ago that shot across the water like it was the wind.

Elkmont must be a rattlesnake gold mine. last year, myself and several other onlookers watched as a good-sized rattler swam across the stream (towards us on the trail). it crawled onto rocks when it could, but put on a decent display of aquatic mobility (didn't appear to like the ordeal, though).
Old 05-03-2010, 01:35 AM

i'm sorry to hear about your fishin' buddy. I hope there is a speedy recovery. But on a similar note, I had a frightening run-in with a rattler on Saturday on Middle Prong. It was stretched out on some loose gravel off the side of the road. Be careful out there folks.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:51 PM

With regard to rattlesnakes swiming: I was on Slickrock creek about ten years ago and nearly stepped on a pretty big timber rattler on the trail about a mile above the lake. I did not want to kill it so moved it off the trail with a very long stick. It slithered right back to the same spot twice. Finally, I took the stick and heaved it almost all the way across the creek. It promptly swam back and slithered to the same spot on the trail. I did this once more. When it slithered back up the bank the second time, I was waiting with about a 30lb rock. I crushed it's head and moved it well off the trail. I hated to kill the snake, but felt it would surely bite a hiker or dog based on the position it had staked out and it's unwillingness to leave. All this to say that rattlesnakes swim quite well.