Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 04-26-2010, 07:37 AM

Default Leaders&Tippets

Maybe ya'll can help me out.20 years ago or so,an old fellow clued me in on using Royal Bonyl as tippet mat'l.Works great but they quit making it long ago and I am running out!Been hearing about flouro-carbon and its invisibility for some time.I checked prices on internet and WOW!Flouro tapered leaders $16-18?Tippets same?Even considered tying my own leaders.Would be cheaper but is it worth it?Have any of ya'll really seen a difference?As the saying goes-I ain't cheap,but I ain't stupid either!
Old 04-26-2010, 08:46 AM

swampus-
I use the "regular" tapered knotless leaders either in 7 1/2 or 9 foot lengths. But I do use FC tippets as I do think they are harder for the fish to see, or I use the standard tippets if I run out. But then again, its whatever works for you. Sometimes, I think the marketing depts. at various suppliers are trying to create a "demand" for a got-to-have product at a higher price.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:55 AM

Depends upon where you are fishing. Mountain fish not worth it. Tailwater fish or streams with catch and release fish you will see an improvement. Rio sells spools with 100 yards or so and while they cost a lot the savings is substantial. Buy cheap mono leaders and just add flouro tippet.

Last edited by gutshot; 04-26-2010 at 09:18 PM..
Old 04-26-2010, 11:07 AM

Default Fc

Thanks,fellas.That's probably what I'll do.Reg lead and FC.Might have enuf Royal Bonny for thei season.With it I have literally fished a run w/o and no bites.IMmediately fished it again and caught 4.To **** bad Garcia doesn't make anymore.I think your right about the hype.Seems we flyflingers are Gadget Gullible and they know it,as with the felt sole controversy.Idea-mfg'ers put plastic eyelets in wading boots so we can microwave them.Hospitals do this.30 sec in mcrw kills ALL organisms!
Old 04-26-2010, 11:20 AM

Barbara & I laugh at some of the ads you see in printed media or the TV. Sometimes it appears as if its "a solution in search of a problem."
Old 04-26-2010, 12:42 PM

Default Best Knot?

Hey Fellows, since you are talking about leaders and tippet, I was curious what knot you guys find to work best in connecting the two?
I normally use the Surgeon's Knot, and I always find when I break that is where my line always fails. Is that true with all knots? Or it it just the
surgeon knot? Or is the knot always the weakest link in a line that does
not have a flaw, pinch, nick, etc....? Also, I use Rio leaders (mono) and Seaugar tippet (flouro), could that be an issue?
Old 04-26-2010, 02:04 PM

I use a double surgeon's knot for leader to tippet. Never had it fail on me in that instance.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckytroutbum View Post
I use a double surgeon's knot for leader to tippet. Never had it fail on me in that instance.
My surgeon's knot seems to do fine as well, it's usually my failure of making a decent clinch knot that does me in.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:31 PM

Default Knots

LOok at it this way.If it always breaks at tippet knot,all you're losing is tippet.Better that than half or so of leader.BTW after tying numerous tippets and your leader gets too short,I save the rest for bass/bream leaders where 5 or more feet is plenty.As per my orig. post,maybe FC leaders is the answer.No tippet knot.Just fly breaks off.Someone should do a study.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:22 PM

I switched to the braided leaders, I think I am using the Orvis brand leaders right now and absolutely love them. They don't really cost any more than the knotless type either. as for tippet, I have a few spools of the 6x, 7x, 5x, etc. but when I need the FC I just went to the local sporting goods store and bought the 100 yd. spools of 2lb, 4lb and they only cost about $4 a piece and work just the same. I saved some old spools from the tippet and wound them up with 2 lb. and 4lb. fishing line.

I have found with the fc that if I can get it to break it usually takes a bit of leader with it, meaning that the leader will break before the FC, I always have a bit(12-14") of tippet tied on the end of my leader one size up from my final tippet size, so if I am using a 6x tippet, I will put a 12-14" piece of 5x at the end of my leader, that way I am not losing leader.