Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 06-25-2010, 11:32 AM

Default Pole Dancer

I found Charlie Bisharat's pole dancer fly and I was gonna look into tying some of these since there $12 bucks a piece does anyone know where I could find the heads to make these? Here's the link where I found it http://www.flyfishingoutfitters.com/...ncer_fire_tige
Old 06-25-2010, 04:50 PM

I could not get your link to open. I have seen this fly discussed on other forums. But, I have not found a site that actually informs one of how to exactly tie the fly. From what I remember, the head is formed around a mold.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:15 PM

Man am I disappointed, I saw the title pole dancer and my mind went in a totally different direction
Old 06-26-2010, 01:08 AM

Thanks, for the replies. Just to let anyone who might wanna tackle this fly I sent umpqua a email and they said the heads for this fly will be available to purchase in 2011.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:12 AM

Here is another link to the fly. I think Umpqua has picked up the fly and the price should come more in line, it's ridiculous now.

http://www.flyfishingoutfitters.com/...21ME&retrieve=
Old 06-26-2010, 08:16 AM

Default Pole Dancer? Different direction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman View Post
Man am I disappointed, I saw the title pole dancer and my mind went in a totally different direction
WhatEVER do you mean?

I'm sure you are refering to the kids that weave the multicolored ribbons around the pole in celebration of Spring.....
Old 06-26-2010, 09:36 AM

Lightbulb Mold Making

You could probably make them if you want to use some kind of resin-based product...? Just get a good side profile-picture, print it at several different sizes you are thinking about. Buy some beeswax (look at my fly photos and you will see the yellow beeswax I use) or you can use play-do. Form a nice flat surface and make it deep enough to accommodate half of your fly head. Trace the picture out with a needle by stabbing through the paper in to the mold. Use light pressure; then take an eraser that has been soaking in a cup of water and slowly form your profile by following your pin pattern. Try not to soak the mold; but, I like to keep the erasure cold when doing this. Finally; you can use a bead or something to press a form in an eye. Remember; you are making a negative and if you do not want a formed eye; leave recess when you a form the head for a sticker eye later; etc.

The neat thing about this technique is that you can add vent holes in the head to give the fly turbulence and a bubble trail if you want. You can add gills and scales too....

Spray in a light coating of PAM spray and let dry. Then; mix your resin and pour in to the mold and fit a lead sinker in the back. You may have to layer the resin to keep the sinker from falling through..? You can buy nice mold putty at the hobby shops so that you do not have to redo the mold every time. You will have to make two of these and glue them together. Use a fine dremel or some fine sandpaper to clean up the head.

There are better ways to make these. If you plan on selling them; you may want to make a lead mold-nasty....

Hope this helps; you can make a mold of anything with techniques like this. I put my cellphone in a plastic wrap and forced it in to a mold to make a cellphone holder once. Once you paint it; it looks great and like plastic.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-26-2010, 11:24 PM

I still have not found any tying info for the pole dancer. But, google "zaggin zook" for what appears to be a similar fly.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:50 AM

Default zaggin zook

The zaggin zook looks just as good at the pole dancer I found a video on youtube after finding it on goggle. The guy gives good detailed instructions. I'm gonna be tying some of these just as soon as I can get the stuff ordered. In the video he uses some Clear cure goo to put a finish coat on the popper. I also googled that I'm gonna get some of that stuff to also keep the eyes on my other flies. Thanks again for everybody's input on this topic.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:24 AM

Bronzeback, do you have a link to that youtube video? I can't seem to find it.