Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 04-27-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Got a Katadyn hiker.
Same here. Filter. Drink
Old 04-27-2010, 12:45 PM

I just carry a small bottle(old eye drops style) of bleach. one cap full of bleach will treat 5 gallons of water. I have the tablets and a crude filter but never use them, I usually just drink out tof the stream if fishing, morning and night I boil for my coffee, If I am carrying water for a hike I will just add a smidge of bleach to my bottles.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:23 PM

If you've never had the bug, you don't know what your missing and ever since, I have chose to purify whether that be the tablets or a water purifier solution. I typically scoope the water out and drop in the tablets and call it good.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:25 PM

Has anyone seen or used this new filter system from Platypus?
I still like my Katadyn, but I can think of a few different times that this would be handy.

Also, I've always used camelback bladders by default, but I'm starting to like the features and ease of use that the platypus ones offer.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:57 PM

I met a fellow who had most of his large intestine removed after a run in with giardia from swimming in a pond. Rare, but why take an needless risk.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:32 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

Here is a good rule to follow, start by always picking a clean water source side streams and springs are the best creeks and rivers allow more time for contamination either filter or use Aqua-Mira drops and you'll never have any problems.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:27 PM

I have drank straight from small streams in the smokies and luckily didn't get sick. Did that more in days past but then I started thinking about hogs upstream that might be doing their business in the stream or worse layin dead in there and I figured it made more sense to use some aqua mira since its quick and cheap and I stopped gambling.

Honestly though there have been some recent studies that suggest most people camping that get gardia are actually getting it from their or others they are withs poor hygeine after taking a dump. People tend to get some on their hands and spread it that way. For years people camping have been getting sick with gardia and folks always assumed it was from the water but now they are thinking that may not be the major source after all but it still can't hurt to treat the water just more common sense.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 04-27-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
I have drank straight from small streams in the smokies and luckily didn't get sick. Did that more in days past but then I started thinking about hogs upstream that might be doing their business in the stream or worse layin dead in there and I figured it made more sense to use some aqua mira since its quick and cheap and I stopped gambling.

Honestly though there have been some recent studies that suggest most people camping that get gardia are actually getting it from their or others they are withs poor hygeine after taking a dump. People tend to get some on their hands and spread it that way. For years people camping have been getting sick with gardia and folks always assumed it was from the water but now they are thinking that may not be the major source after all but it still can't hurt to treat the water just more common sense.
Poor hygiene is always a bad thing, at home or in the backcountry. I always carry those little hand sanitizer packs and try to keep my hands as clean as possible.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:59 PM

Crockett,I may have read the same study you read,the one I read was done by the Sierra Club and they found that a majority of people who got giardisis got it from either their poor hygeine or the folks they were camping with.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:46 AM

I have been more careful in recent years about drinking mountain water...but still have vivid memoried of my grandfather standing midstream sipping river water from his collapsible cup...hard to believe that water that looks so good could be so bad for you..