Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 04-04-2011, 12:14 PM

Matt

I was looking at it this morning on the web. Looks like just a uv probe that is placed in the water bottle, is that right?
Old 04-04-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Matt

I was looking at it this morning on the web. Looks like just a uv probe that is placed in the water bottle, is that right?
Exactly.. Just a bright UVC light that rips apart the DNA of micro-organisms and viruses - everything dies! It does nothing for other "bits" in the water though, so if I am traveling to a place that has silty or dirty water, my MSR Miniworks filter is still in order.

Smoky Mountain streams are almost always clear and have little particulate matter; I tried using steripen's pre-filter on my last trip but there was nothing caught in the filter when I checked. You may want to consider using one of these 17 micron screen pre-filters if you are worried about contaminating the threads of your water bottle when you fill it. I dry off the threads and drink through an opening in the bottle lid, so there is no chance of contamination. I will still keep bringing the pre-filter in case a storm muddies the water a bit.

In your original post you had talked about filtering to get rid of the Giardia and Crypto and then treating to kill viruses. I am paranoid about getting sick from the water, but was never worried when filtering alone. I do not think purification is necessary. If you still want to be sure viruses are killed, a steripen would take care of them with no chlorine after taste. Not to disparage the tablets, as I keep some in my emergency bag "just in case" since they weigh next to nothing, electronics sometimes fail, and filter pumps sometimes break. Dealing with the chlorine taste beats having to leave a trip early.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:20 PM

Interesting. I have and use the Katadyn Hiker. It takes care of most of my concerns and for myself I am comfortable with that. But with the kids joining me over the past year I am a little more cautious using tablets. But maybe this is an option as well especially with immediate results, I assume anyways. Thanks for posting I'll have to do some window shopping.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:01 PM

Default more water treatment help

looks like alot of knowledge here and I was hoping you could help me. Abby and I will be serviing a missions in Uganda Africa for the month of June. The fees we pay covers food and water, but I was thinking of taking a water treatment system for an emergency situation. Our missions are on the islands of Lake Victoria and probably would have no need to drink the lake water. Should we for some reason run out of bottled water, is there a system that would work to remove everything (or most everything). I am told that the water several miles off shore is really clean, but the water by shore could have most anything in it....even possibly some human waste. Any help would be appreciated. Hopes are that we won't need a system, but I would rather be prepared for the worst....

Bob
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 04-05-2011, 11:06 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

Try Aqua Mira tastes fine and I have never been sick very lightweight 2 small bottles of drops.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:32 PM

Default some more to think about....

I bought a aqua mira filter bottle. My plan was to bring it with me and then I could always have a clean drink at hand. Well me and my boys had drank some river water and we all got kick out of the novelty of it.

Just a couple weeks ago my family took a small walk up to the Walker Sister's cabin, since we'd never seen it before. Some ______(use word of your choice) had placed a flat rock right in the middle of the spring house and left a little "joke" of you know what. Some people need beaten...repeatedly....
Old 04-30-2011, 12:40 PM

Buckeye the Katadyn pocket filter is expensive but it is the best.The Red Cross issues it for its folks working in third world countries.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:40 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattblick View Post

I had previously used a MSR Miniworks EX filter, not the easiest device to bring along as it won't fit in a fishing vest and weighs a full pound. I now use a Steripen Traveler Mini. It weighs 3.6 ounces with batteries (set of batteries last for 50 treatments) and is 6x1x1 inches in size; will fit your pocket. It treats water in a few seconds; bright UV light kills giardia, cryptosporidium, and viruses.. I got mine for under $40 from an online retailer..
I took your advice and bought one of these. It should be here mid week. I have a good MSR filter, but like you said, it's a full pound, and I never end up taking it. I always keep tablets as a back up, but for 4 ounces, I'm sold for camping, and will most likely take it on more remote treks fishing where problems could arise causing and extended unplanned stay.

$50 was the best price I could find, but it had free shipping & no tax, so that's not too far off.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
I took your advice and bought one of these. It should be here mid week. I have a good MSR filter, but like you said, it's a full pound, and I never end up taking it. I always keep tablets as a back up, but for 4 ounces, I'm sold for camping, and will most likely take it on more remote treks fishing where problems could arise causing and extended unplanned stay.

$50 was the best price I could find, but it had free shipping & no tax, so that's not too far off.
I suspect you might have used the same retailer; if you subscribed to their DealFlyer when you ordered you will get 20% and 30% off coupons in emails..

Glad my advice was useful to you; I might hit you up for some creek location suggestions in the future.