Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-27-2010, 10:14 PM

Default to indicate or not?

just got done reading the fishing report. interesting bit about strike indicators. I, too, learned how to nymph without using any indicator. depth control is somewhat a problem but for the most part I love "feeling" for the strikes.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:41 PM

I learned how to not use an indicator about this time last year. I like the two nymph and no indicator method and will probably be practicing it in about 12 hours.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 04-28-2010, 12:21 AM

I also learned how to nymph without an indicator. I always referred to it as "high sticking." It really is enjoyable to feel the strike, but I've found that you can't cover as much water without the indicator. If you let out too much line, you can't always feel the strike. So sometimes indicators (or stimulators) are necessary.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:43 AM

The line can also be utilized as an indicator. Watch for unusal movements, stops and pulls on the line.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:56 AM

Even with some of the bead head nymphs the adjustment from "casting" a dry fly or a "wet" fly becomes more "flinging"...as Hans said earlier a well treated floating line serves just as well as an indicator....if you ever get a chance watch an old timer fish with a cane pole...will usually outfish all of our high priced "boo" and glass
Old 04-28-2010, 12:34 PM

I never fish with an indicator, simply because I do not enjoy nymph fishing with one, and I seem to do fine without one. I could be missing some soft strikes, but that is OK. I am quite good at spotting any interruption or soft takes by watching my line. I also love "high sticking" when the occasion calls for it. No problem seeing or feeling a strike when fishing this way.
Now, all of that said, I do fish with a dry/dropper combination when I see rises and also want to continue nymph fishing, or just looking for something that works.
There is no right way or wrong way; just enjoy the sport.
Wm in the Boro
ps..I would recommend that anyone just starting out get used to not using a strike indicator initially. Just my opinion. It keeps your concentration level up.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm1miller View Post
ps..I would recommend that anyone just starting out get used to not using a strike indicator initially. Just my opinion. It keeps your concentration level up.
That's for sure...I get lazy whenever I put on a strike indicator. I enjoy using both techniques when the situation calls for it...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-28-2010, 02:50 PM

I agree with the getting lazy when using an indicator. I usually use one when fishing from the boat. It is almost "bobber" fishing when I just decide to drift with the current. But boat fishing in general makes me a more lazy (and sloppy) fisherman when drifting.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:34 PM

I find that I spend the majority of my fly fishing time is spent nymphing, generally I use two nymphs with no indicator, i found that my indicator messes up my casting. If I ever fish just one nymph it is behind a dry fly(hopper,stim,EHC).

If you pay attention to your fly line it is just as good as an indicator, in my book.

Chris
Old 04-28-2010, 05:13 PM

If I am just nymphing then I will use an indicator most of the time it's just easier. If I have a dropper on then my dry is the indicator

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...