Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-30-2010, 11:44 AM

Default how much time fishing

I was wondering how long you all average fishing once you get to the water and set up. Is it all day, 4-5 hours , or only a couple. I have to fit time in whenever i can so my average length of time fishing is probably around 2-3 hours, sometimes less. You know juggling work, family and everything else life throws at us. Needless to say i get many days in, just in small amounts of time. Sometimes i think, man by the time i suit up and get in the water i m only going to have an hour and a half, but I go anyway because it sure is a soul soothing hour and a half. I try and go when it wont affect my family time, and sometimes i get lucky and they get to come with. I really enjoy the fishing time with my kids, we dont throw flies or wade, but drifting red worm is a blast for them, also drifting a big beadhead works well on a spinning rod. Other than when my kids are with me , i am a loner fisherman. I like the solitude.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:48 PM

In my case it depends on where I have gone since there only a few streams close I usually only get a couple of hours. If I have traveled further then I tend spend longer but I have budgeted my time to not have any other obligations for the day (but this is rare)
Old 04-30-2010, 02:14 PM

Around town, I am lucky to get a half day of fishing in and that includes the drive. A few times a year, I get away for the weekend and fish every minute I can because I don't get that chance as often as I used to. There was a time when I would go camping and fish from sun up to sun down and hike in the dark in order not to waste fishing time. I fished so much that I began enjoying the finer things of backcountry fishing like observing the surroundings, taking a streamside nap, a nip off the bottle here and there. But now since I don't hit the water as often as I used to, it is all gung ho again.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:17 PM

I usually fish until my back goes out, or lunch time whichever comes first.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:08 PM

alexys01 you sound just like me. When I started trout fishing @ 2005 I would go as many Saturday mornings from 8-10am as I could mostly in the summer. Trying to get home before my wife and daughter were ready to get to doing stuff . Of course I would be leaving just in time for the fish to start biting. I have managed a couple of longer stints but it is usually just 2-3 hours. Luckily I only live 40min from being in GSMNP. I am a loner most of the time as well, partly due to time and not knowing anyone else to fish like that with. I try to have all my gear as ready as possible, just needing to put the rod together and tie on the flies stream side(when wet wading anyway). I love what little time I get and always look forward to the rare full day on the stream. My problem is I love photography and birdwatching as well and struggle have time for all, but those are easier with the family than fishing. My daughter is getting old enough now to start teaching her some and look forward to when she is old/big enough to start wading safely.
Then my 8 month old twin boys will be next! I think since the rain is suppose to hold off I am going to try this Sat some!

My pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdnerd25/
Old 04-30-2010, 05:38 PM

that's me. leave home at 7 am in the water at 8 ,fish till 11 and home by noon. sat and sun weather and everything else permitting. a couple of hours a week durung the evenings. Dont usually have time for big numbers but i just enjoy the time .
Old 04-30-2010, 06:22 PM

Most of the streams I fish are 3-4 hours away, so I tend to spend as much time on the water as I can.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:26 PM

Alexys01--I think it is at least in part a product of age and what mountains folks call "cattiness" (a sort of catch-all term to describe fitness and level of vigor; i. e., "I ain't as catty as I used to be"). When I was a boy and right on into my 40s I couldn't get enough hours astream. In fac,t the first time I went to Alaska, where there was way too much sun, I about killed myself fishing 20-21 hours a day. Now five or six hours is usually enough for me, especially if I have an appreciable walk afterwards. Accordingly, I try to plan my fishing to be on the stream during optimal times. Another factor is the difficulty of the wading and terrain. In a stream with an easy gradient I'll not tire out as quickly. For me it is easy to tell when I've had enough. My reflexes wane, I'm less certain on my feet, and there is a dimunition of my level of enthusiasm.
Still, as my 100-year-old father says, "son, you've had a marvelously misspent life."
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 04-30-2010, 07:13 PM

Around town, I get 2-3 hours about 3-4 times a week in the evenings after work from mid April through mid October.

When I get that rare chance to go to the Smokys, I fish every available moment.

Jeff
Old 04-30-2010, 10:40 PM

Mr. Casada, first of all i want to say what a joy it is to read your contributions to this forum. Your insight, experience, and historic commentary are an absolute delight, so keep them coming. Now replying to your post, I to as a boy could not get enough of fishing. I remember countless daylight to dark adventures, as well as many many summer nights on the river bank watching the sun rise. i grew up in the city, and would fish the various channels of the local river. I put alot of miles on my bike going to and from these channels from the age of 9 on up. I remember one day a tornado warning was given , it was raining cats and dogs, and the sirens were going off, but the bite was good , my stringer was full, and i wasnt going anywhere. Needless to say my Dad came looking for me and lets just say he wasnt too happy.

Jeff; No doubt brother. The Smoky's are a special place and some of Gods greatest work, so fish on.