Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-03-2010, 11:15 AM

Default 4.2 cfs !

Just read Byron's report about the storms - horrible for middle TN, glad Townsend dodged the bullet on it! We had some rain and lightening here, but nothing too bad in North GA. Just seemed like a typical spring thunderstorm.

So, I was planning on coming up this week and fishing the LR and maybe Walker Camp and tremont - how long before the Elkmont area of Little River becomes fishable again? If I come up on Tuesday, will I be stuck to fishing Laurel Creek and maybe Tremont? Or are those going to be blown out too? I know that after a storm, things clear up pretty fast, but I'm not as familiar with trying to fish in the LR area after such a large amount of rain has fallen?

Should I not bother coming up until Wed? Or next week?

Thanks all.

owl
Old 05-03-2010, 11:39 AM

wait...... til next week
Old 05-03-2010, 11:45 AM

Default Wash-out

Owl, This week will be a wash-out. It'll drop to 1000CFS pretty quickly, but it will probably take until next week for the LR to come down to 500CFS and even then its just fishable...not ideal...(I hope I'm wrong...)

Keep an eye on the water gauge info from Townsend to make your call:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tn/nwis/uv/?site_no=03497300&

Here is a listing of the water levels since mid January. If you look at the trends yo can get an idea of how long it takes to return to "Normal". We had a big storm around Jan 24th that spiked the flow up to almost 4000 CFS. It took about 4.5 days to get down to 500CFS
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tn/nwis/uv...te_no=03497300

We had another episode on 2-6-10 that took it up to 2500CFS (about where it is right now 11:45a) and it took seven days to get back down to 400CFS (better fishing...)

Now if you had a kayak............

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 05-03-2010, 12:18 PM

thanks guys. you have saved me a wasted trip and what is alot of $$ for me right now. Although, I am disappointed that I have to wait another week or two to make it up there.

Won't the smaller water clear out faster though? I can't imagine Walker Camp or the upper 'Luftee still being blown out 2 days from now? Then again, maybe I am thinking about it as if we were still in the drought years. I guess with the streams already pretty much full and all......it's back to the range, I guess and the fishing will have to wait.

Thanks again.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:30 PM

Walker Camp will be fishable first, but 3.7 inches of rain fell at Newfound gap, so it will take a few days, at least...

Tremont will get fishable late in the week, and the Middle Prong of LR (Elkmont) is out for now...

Next week should be fine, if it doesn't pour again...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 05-03-2010, 12:34 PM

Thank you PeteCZ. I appreciate it!
Old 05-03-2010, 02:45 PM

Smile Big Water!

West Prong is at 4 feet! Tremont will still be a high kayaking level and most holes will be washed out, although I do tend to always see a few people fishing on these days. Canceling the trip is a great idea. Little Rv Outfitters just called to say that my broken rod is back. I want to do some fishing, but this week is for riding the whitewater.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:40 PM

I've been planning on fishing out of Elkmont starting tomorrow for 2 months. I'm still going, I figure I'll just keep walking higher into the park till I find fishable water.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:41 PM

fishermen00 sometimes ya just have to try to make lemonade! I am thinking about coming up there with ya and bringing the camera for Tues. Wed. and Thurs. and breaking out the fly rod on late Thurs. and Fri.

With the higher water, the waterfalls should be really quite nice....

Plus, I just need to get out of the house for a while. It'll be my first trip to the Smokies this year, and my first mountain camping trip since last October!!!!

If ya see a scraggly lookin fat guy with a digital camo boonie...say hello!

Oh, and good luck buddy! I'd take a peek at Laurel cr., jakes and anthony maybe if you can't find anything by heading upstream( or you may wanna try the smaller creeks first) Still, from what folks are saying and looking at the gauge tonight - it's gonna be high and off-colored probably. But hey, that's fishin!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl View Post
fishermen00 sometimes ya just have to try to make lemonade! I am thinking about coming up there with ya and bringing the camera for Tues. Wed. and Thurs. and breaking out the fly rod on late Thurs. and Fri.

With the higher water, the waterfalls should be really quite nice....

Plus, I just need to get out of the house for a while. It'll be my first trip to the Smokies this year, and my first mountain camping trip since last October!!!!

If ya see a scraggly lookin fat guy with a digital camo boonie...say hello!

Oh, and good luck buddy! I'd take a peek at Laurel cr., jakes and anthony maybe if you can't find anything by heading upstream( or you may wanna try the smaller creeks first) Still, from what folks are saying and looking at the gauge tonight - it's gonna be high and off-colored probably. But hey, that's fishin!

I'm camping at Elkmont, I've got a 4 door 2006 tan tacoma with matching hop cap and more gear than I could possibly ever use. I'm fishing if I have to tie a boat anchor on my tippet for weight. See you there.