Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

View Poll Results: Brand of Leader You Use?
Climax 1 3.45%
Cortland 0 0%
Frog Hair 5 17.24%
Orvis 10 34.48%
Rio 13 44.83%
Scientific Anglers 1 3.45%
Umpqua 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2010, 09:54 AM

Default Leader of Choice?

Curious what brand of leader others favor...? I am a big fan of Frog Hair; just - not the price... My leader of choice is the Climax Brand.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 05-05-2010, 10:09 AM

I have really grown to like rio, don't know why but I do, has anyone tried the orvis floating braided stuff with the no knot system? I bought some of this just havnt tried it yet.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:14 PM

I only use the Orvis braided now, it is a couple bucks more but you get two tippets with it , they are very workable, soft, strong and durable.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerdvr View Post
I only use the Orvis braided now, it is a couple bucks more but you get two tippets with it , they are very workable, soft, strong and durable.
Interesting...I may have to try this out...How much fishing would you say you get out of the tippets? I change tippet like it is going out of style...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 05-05-2010, 01:19 PM

For tapered "normal" leaders I use Rio. Affordable and cast really well for me. Haven't had any issue with fish breaking off.

I've been experimenting with Blue Sky furled leaders and have liked them a lot.

I've also used Orvis Floating Braided leaders. I really like these also. I found the tippets they come with get nicked up fairly easily, so I'm not a huge fan of that part. After I use them up I just tie whatever tippet I use to the leader and it works fine.

I'm still figuring out exactly what I like, but that's where I stand now.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:31 PM

I use Orvis super strong. I also tie my own leaders with Orvis SS tippet for bass and big streamer leaders.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:10 PM

I too am partial to Orvis' Super Strong tippet material...for last 3-4 years I have been fishing furled leaders and love them....make changing tippets a lot easier and faster...have found a supplier that makes different lengths so that I can also fish some of my shorter rods without having an inordinate amount of leader attached to my fly line.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
I too am partial to Orvis' Super Strong tippet material...for last 3-4 years I have been fishing furled leaders and love them....make changing tippets a lot easier and faster...have found a supplier that makes different lengths so that I can also fish some of my shorter rods without having an inordinate amount of leader attached to my fly line.

Who makes your fuled leaders for you? i am interrested in trying those things as much as folks talk about them
Old 05-05-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Curious what brand of leader others favor...? I am a big fan of Frog Hair; just - not the price... My leader of choice is the Climax Brand.
Shawn,
I used Orvis for a long time, but have had some quality issues with the last few packs of tippet and leaders I bought. So I have been doing an on stream comparison between FrogHair and Rio. The jury is still out as to which one I like better, however I like the price of Rio more.

I used Orvis braided leaders for a few years, and they worked really well probably 90% of the time. The best part is that there is a loop on the end so you can just keep tying on tippet and reusing the butt section. I would usually use a 2' section of 5X tied to a 2' piece of 6X. However, I couldn't keep the thing floating while fishing dries. Secondly, when fishing to spooky trout on sections of the Clinch and SoHo they would shy away from the line. I believe it was partly because of the dark shadow but also the water that it would spray while casting. I also noticed my catch rates greatly increase once I switched to 12' tapered nylon leaders, so now I only use braided/furled when throwing streamers or poppers.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 05-05-2010, 03:25 PM

I'm still looking for my leader of choice. I have used Frog Hair and really liked them, but lately I've been using Orvis super strong because of the price. I'm going to try something new

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>