Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-06-2010, 12:27 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight
Default Epic Hatch

I am just curious if anyone else braved the raging water yesterday to fish the Little River? I fished with Drew, a gentleman that came down from Ohio.....great guy by the way!......we fished all day and tried everything nymphs, streamers, dries, dry/dropper added weight...took off weight and maybe had 2-3 strikes all day.

I was ready to give up, but being the hard head I am had to at least catch 1 fish or I wasn't leaving. at 6:45 I decided to switch back to a dry and Drew did so as well we fished the only semi-calm water in Elkmont.

Same result only a few small nips at the flies.......then 7:45 struck and Holy Moly! I have never seen anything like it the bugs just started snowing upwards from the water. The trout just came alive and out of hiding they were putting on a show doing all kinds crazy leaps and jumps and dancing on their tails it was wild.

After catching nothing all day I caught 5 fish, all rainbows I might add in the 6-9 inch range in all of fifteen minutes it was worth getting beat up all day by rough water just to see that show and never mind met a great guy that I met on this forum and had a blast!

Get out and fish it's camping in Deep Creek this weekend for me I just hope to get a chance again sometime to see a hatch like that and the water level be at a normal flow rate.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:40 PM

Little yellow stoneflies or some type of mayfly? I've seen this intense hatch activity often during high water episodes. The little yellow stoneflies seem to hatch better as well as light cahills and other mayflies. Glad you guys had a good time on the water!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-06-2010, 12:48 PM

Spotlight--If you are camping at the "drive to" campground on lower Deep Creek, as opposed to backpacking, you might want to give some consideration to spending at least one day on Indian Creek. It's tight and tough but full of rainbows.
Unless it has gone down a great deal since yesterday afternoon, Deep Creek is running so full it is a challenge to wade and there are many spots where you can't cross the stream. I fished for a couple of hours yesterday and while I caught a good many fish, wading was extremely tough. All the fish were hunkered down in little eddies and backwaters along the banks, obviously avoiding the raging current.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 05-06-2010, 01:09 PM

Jim, I just read that chapter on Indian Creek in your book. Thanks for the tip I will give it a try, the part about 30-50 trout day caught my eye. I caught 7 inch rainbows last night that leaped and jumped it's fun just watching them I am just happy getting out there and being able to enjoy the beauty. If I catch a big un great if I catch only smaller fish.....well that's great too at least I was able to get out and enjoy the park.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
Little yellow stoneflies or some type of mayfly? !
David, after describing them to Bill at LRO we assume they were yellow stoneflies I'm not sure if I so called matched the hatch but back in the winter Jack Gregory was tieing flies on a Saturday at the shop and he tied this yellow parachute pattern with foam wrapped around the body of the hook.

He called it a "go get em fly" I asked him could I buy one he gave me a funny look and handed one to me and said enjoy. I hope I see him at troutfest so I can thank him.......it was truly a "go get em fly"

The 3 best flies I own are that one from Jack, a para adams female that Ray ball gave me, and some nymphs that Steve Yates sent to me, I have been very lucky to meet some awesome fly fishermen including yourself! cause if I had to tie my own flies I wouldn't be fishing I just don't have the knack for it.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:21 PM

Very cool. I love it when you catch a big hatch going off and the bugs are just everywhere and the trout are leaping... that is just one of those great, exhilarating, natural experiences.

...speaking of trout leaping, anyone familiar with Winslow Homer? One of my favorites of his:

Old 05-06-2010, 09:51 PM

Nice picture Carlito.When I think of Winslow Homer a storm tossed sea and a rowboat come to mind,didn't know he painted trouts.Congratulations on experiencing that swarm of yellow stones Spotlight.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:09 AM

Dang, I think I was fishing right below you at Elkmont and gave it up right about that time! Skunk for me. Oh well, I had a good day kayaking, 2 runs from the Sinks to the Elbow. I remember bugs beginning to hatch, but I didn't think anything was going to happen! Maybe next time.