Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-07-2010, 01:34 PM

Default Mill Creek and/or Forge Creek

How is the fly-fishing on Mill and/or Forge Creek?

I recently fished Anthony Creek and caught 15 "bows" in the 6 - 9" class and was wondering about these other two small streams in the Cades Cove area.

Also - I spent about 2+ hours fishing the Bald River (behind Bald River Falls) yesterday and caught 8 nice "bows" - 6 - 10 inches (no Browns or Specks despite reports that they were in that Cherokee NF stream).

I would advise anyone that is considering fishing the Bald River to NOT fish it alone as it is extermely treacherous when you get up in there a mile or so. I had to climb a steep rock wall to get back to the trail. The area is even more rugged than Road Prong in the park!
Old 05-07-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.hoyt View Post
Also - I spent about 2+ hours fishing the Bald River (behind Bald River Falls) yesterday and caught 8 nice "bows" - 6 - 10 inches (no Browns or Specks despite reports that they were in that Cherokee NF stream).
Kevin, I think the Brown trout population may be nearing non-existance there. In the last 3 years, I have only caught one Brown in the Bald River (~8"). I don't know why they have become so elusive, as there is a great food base in warpaint shiners and stone rollers. In one of Ian Rutters books, he has a picture of a guy holding a massive wild brown that gives me a little twitch each time I see it. The caption says it was caught in the bald, but it looks like an old picture.

As far as specks, I believe you will need to go above Holly Flats and Smith Field Road to find them. I have never caught one below the area where Brookshire Creek enters the Bald River headwaters, then again, I don't fish for specks in that river too often. It gets very rugged up near Brookshire Creek and the bald itself (Beaverdam Bald).

Sorry I'm no help on Mill Creek or Forge Creek. I enjoy talking about the National Forest Streams as the Citico/Bald/Tellico/North area is my favorite place to spend time.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:55 PM

Forge and Mill Creek both fish well in good water years but the trout populations tend to take a hit during drought years. There are decent numbers of small rainbows...the type of stream you would hit if you were in the area but I wouldn't make a special drive over there just to fish those two...Abrams is the draw in this portion of the park...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-07-2010, 04:31 PM

Thats Timmy Doyle in Ians book all the pics in his book were pretty new at the time of printing. I may be wrong, Ian or Charity can answer that question for sure. I've been up through there and have caught plenty of browns, but your right mostly rainbows. Ran into the specs above Holly Flats.
Lynn
Old 05-08-2010, 08:21 PM

Default Forge Creek - A Success! - Laurel Creek Even Better!

I decided to fish Forge Creek today and was pleasantly surprised with a haul of 12 "bows" in 3 hours. Missed a bunch more. Fished the creek from behind the old mill @ the Cades Cove Visitor Center up to where the creek nears the Parson Branch road. There were quite a few "walk through" low water places - but overall well worth the trip despite the tourist traffic on the new loop road.

Decided to fish several stretches of Laurel Creek on my way back to the "Y" and caught over 25 more "bows" in only 3 hours. They were mostly in the 4 - 8" range and were almost caught at will. Missed one huge fish in a deep hole on the creek as well. I'll be going back to Laurel Creek again this spring/summer.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Hackle View Post
Thats Timmy Doyle in Ians book all the pics in his book were pretty new at the time of printing. I may be wrong, Ian or Charity can answer that question for sure. I've been up through there and have caught plenty of browns, but your right mostly rainbows. Ran into the specs above Holly Flats.
Lynn
Lynn, thats great to hear that they are still there. I must have fished the bald 5 or 6 times last year and didn't see a single Brown. I do remember the caption of that picture saying Timmy Doyle.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:38 AM

As far as I know there is still a strong population of Browns in Bald River. It appears that they are still showing up in TWRA's Fall sampling run. Back in the late 90s we used to shock up several 20"+ Browns every Fall.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:32 PM

Not familiar with Mill Creek but have 'hit' Forge Creek several times over the years (more in the area of Parson's Branch Road and the end of the gravel road than in the Visitor Center / mill area) - some decent experiences in 'good water' years catching rainbows. Have fished Forge Creek a couple of times almost more as a 'break' from the trip around the Loop. Not many folks go up the road and many that do are there more out of curiosity than to fish - I'd say it's worth keeping in mind depending on water level and if you are 'in the neighborhood' but not so much as a fishing destination.
Fishstu