Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 05-08-2010, 08:28 PM

Default Fly Fishing Custer State Park (South Dakota) Creeks

Has anyone fished the creeks in Custer State Park (South Dakota)?

I am headed there for a short visit the end of June (on my way to Colorado) and was hoping to try fly fishing some of the creeks in the park.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:53 PM

The Black Hills are awesome and very overlooked as a fishing destination. I would recommend fishing outside of Custer SP though. Send me an email if you want more details...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-09-2010, 12:18 AM

Check out Flyanglersonline.com. Pull up FEATURES and click on HOME WATERS. The late Al Campbell ran a fly shop out there and has a lot of good stuff on the black hills area. I usually use this a a stop for a day or two to do the tourist thing with family on the way to Wyoming. I've only been there in Mid to late July. I wasn't too impressed with Frenchmen's Creek, did catch some nice Browns but there were stockers. You can walk in from a Horse camp down stream into a wilderness area (a Canyon). I tried to walk upstream from the lower end but I respect Buffalo, which got there first, too much to hang around.
Just off I-90 just before you enter Wyoming there is a small spring creek-(Sand Creek, not sure of name??) that some S.D.folks told me about that is supposed to be the best in the Hills area. Again check out Al Campbell's stuff on Flyanglersonline. Again to be honest, I really did not fish real hard, I was itching to get to the Mountains.
Randall Sale
Old 05-11-2010, 08:56 AM

I was just pulling out my maps, etc of Wyoming and came across a booklet from the South Dakota Dept. of Game, Fish and Parks, called The Black Hills Fishing Guide. It contains excellent maps of each drainage in the Black Hills. Roads, trail numbers approx, stream crossings, etc Their phone is (605) 394-2391. That with Al Campbell's materials from FAOL will have you set. I'd mail mine to you but don't have time.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:29 PM

Check out the Grace Coolidge Walk In fishing area. My son and I fished there several years ago. You can fish from near the Visitor Center, all the way up to Center Lake. If you have two vehicles, you can park one at Center Lake and not have to walk back. Several small dams, beautiful area, good trail, no road. Custer State Park was one of the unexpected highlights of our trip out west.