Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-08-2010, 10:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite
Default greenbriar report and ? for Mr Casada

I fished Greenbriar starting around the ranger station on friday afternoon. I only fished for about 2 hours, and I really have no idea on the exact count of fish brought to hand...maybe 30? Maybe a few more than that... Only a few of them were over 7 inches, and the majority seemed to be in that 4-5 inch range. Every little hole in the fast water produced multiple fish some of which ate my dry caddis and some of which came on a variety of nymphs used a s a dropper. It got so rediculous i started trying odd nymphs, you know, the ones everyone has in their box that never touch the water..The fish really didnt care what pattern i threw.

Mr Casada, I was brousing through your book and noticed that in the Greenbriar section you mentioned browns being in Greenbriar. I have fished that stream a ton of times and have never caught one. Have they also disappeared from that stream much like Abrams?
Old 05-09-2010, 12:25 PM

2weightfavorite,

I'm not Mr. Casada but I have a lot of experience from Greenbriar. Send me an email and I can tell you what I know. ahlstedt@knology.net
Old 05-09-2010, 07:36 PM

2weightfavorite--Browns may have well disappeared from Greenbriar as they claerly have from Abrams Creek. I never caught more than a handful there over the years and they were in the creek's lower reaches. I haven't fixhed Greenbriar in several years so you are likely right.
Along similar lines, has anyone on the forum ever caught a brown in the Park portion of the West Prong of the Little Pigeon? I never have but you would think there would be browns there, at least down close to Gatlinburg. I know of nothing to have stopped them migrating upstream into the Park. I fish the stream at least a couple of times every year, if nothing else for a short time in connection with demonstrations for Smoky Mountain Field School classes I teach. The stream is full of mostly small rainbows around the Visitor Center, and I'm fortunate enough almost every class to be able to catch one or two with the students watching (I fish a 75-yard stretch right behind Park headquarters). This afternoon I caught two and hooked three others, with the largest one possibly being eight inches. Yet nary a brown have I encountered, and this stretches over decades.
Just curious and would welcome any theorizing.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 05-10-2010, 07:55 AM

Jim, I agree with you, I've fished there quite a bit below and above Gatlinburg and the quiet walkways on up the wplp and I haven't even heard of a Brown being caught there. I wonder if they even stocked them there way back when?? I have even caught a Smallmouth in Gatlinburg on a BHPT dropper in front of Cristus Gardens. That happened only a couple of summers ago.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:25 AM

Bran--According to what I've been able to ascertain from Park records, there is only one instance of browns having been officially stocked, as opposed to illegal "bucket" stocking, anywhere in the Park. That means that most of the browns got to where they are from state waters outside the Park. In the case of Abrams Creek, bucket biology was almost certainly in action (there's a long stretch of lower Abrams unsuitable for trout and thus unsuitable more upstream movement). Elsewhere, the process was presumably just one of movement from outside the Park upstream into the Park.
One thing for certain, looking at Park waters as a whole, browns are far more widespread than they were when I was a boy or young man.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com