Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-11-2010, 07:03 PM

Default pics from Elkmont/Tremont 5-11-10

I fished a few holes above Elkmont today, but several more people with fishing rods were showing up, so I went to Tremont. I caught 4 rainbows at Elkmont and 15 at Tremont. The Tremont fish seemed much bigger and more healthy. All but 4 fish at Tremont were around 10 inches. Just below the institute,where the river goes to the right of the road, I lost a nice brown that would have been pushing 15 inches. Here are pics of 8 of the fish. I quit taking pics since the fish kept looking the same. First 2 are from Elkmont.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:49 PM

tjw37909--Those are really healthy looking fish (and fine photography). Obviously they are getting plenty to eat, as the big bellies and comparatively small heads tell that tale.
I do have to correct you on one thing in ever so gentle fashion. You didn't lost a 15-inch brown, and I'll quote no less authority on the subject that our sport's patron saint, Izaak Walton: "A man cannot lose what he never had." What you had was a temporary meaningful connection with a nice brown. Sounds like a great day of fishing.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 05-11-2010, 09:23 PM

Looks like someone definately had a great trip. I have always loved elkmont. Tremont is another favorite of mine. It looks as if those mountains are alive and well. Keep up the fishing for all of uas and keep posting the pics. Tightlines.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:43 PM

It isn't the photographer....it's the camera that has a setting that eliminates shaky hands blurring the pic somehow. I guess I had a VERY short connection with the brown. I set the hook, he ran 6 feet, jumped a foot in the air, and spit the hook.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:58 PM

Nice fish. The drought a couple years ago seems to have led to larger fish in the streams. I guess less competition for food.

My son and I were there in April and caught some really fat healthy looking fish (browns, bows and brookies). All of them were much fatter than fish we have caught in prior years.

Jeff
Old 05-11-2010, 11:07 PM

They may be even bigger next year with the tons or rain and high water we got right after the spawn this year. I wish the fish would eat some more of the mosquitos at Elkmont so I wouldn't get eaten alive every time I step in the shade.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:48 PM

tjw37909--It's interesting that you mention problems with mosquitoes, because that's a significant change I've seen during my lifetime. When I was a boy and young man I can't ever remember trouble with skeeters on or near streams in the Smokies, although dog pecker gnats were another matter entirely. Now I hear folks talking about skeeters at lower elevations fairly often, although they don't bother me much. I reckon I smell bad, because they flock to my wife like bees to sourwood blooms.
My brother tells me they've got fire ants in Knoxville as well, and I kicked a mound of them last year at the mouth of Hazel Creek and it absolutely boiled with those tiny minions of Beelzebub. That's two changes for the worse, as far as I'm concerned.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 05-12-2010, 05:24 PM

I noticed the fire ants showed up in Maryville 2 -3 years ago and were really bad during the drought years. Interestingly after this really cold winter we had I haven't seen any so far this year and that is a huge change. Seems like that did away with a lot of them but I am sure they will be back...

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...