Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-12-2010, 08:48 PM

Default Little River 5-12-2010

Started out doing great and then it just died off? I knew that I had to be behind someone but never saw them. It took me about an hour before the shadow caster came into view. Got back on the trail and put a few hundred yards between us and was right back into the fish.

Yellow stimulator with a BHPT or BH Tellico = lots of rainbows.

Does anyone know about an old trail that would have been directly across the river from the Cucumber Gap trailhead? Ran across the remains of an old bridge that was new to me.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 05-12-2010, 11:43 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

Grouseman, It was just a rainbow day......I fished all day and not a single brown where last week was just the opposite. I ran into a guy he said his name was Kermit and he hasn't posted on here yet he was at the bridge before Little River Trailhead. I must have been fishing behind people as well because the fishing was off from usual.

I missed quite a few I caught zero on the dropper then just swapped out to a dry and caught some nice rainbows maybe next time I will run into you I'll be sure to stay out of your way though. attached are a few pics the one rainbow was 12" a nice fish and the others were pretty fat, Them are some nice fish you got there! ****ed if I could make a dropper work though. I think I got 8 total.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:18 AM

Grouseman....I am very familiar with the area where you found the remains of a bridge on LR....not surprised that you found some fish in that area....I have always figured that the bridge was a spur line used by the timber company when then were harvesting lumber up that way....
Old 05-13-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseMan77 View Post
It took me about an hour before the shadow caster came into view.
They must have watched A River Runs Through It before heading up to the mountains

Looks like some good fishing... I haven't been to the mountains in TOO LONG. I hope I can join you for a trip soon. Thanks for the pix.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
Looks like some good fishing... I haven't been to the mountains in TOO LONG.
I try not to judge, but, it sounds like your quality of life sucks.

By the way, Grannyknot point out to me that the bridge I was asking about was a railroad access to Sugarland Mountain. Apparently it is referenced in Last Train to Elkmont. I own the book but have not yet read it. Will remedy that tonight.

Last edited by GrouseMan77; 05-13-2010 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: Answer to my own question.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:01 PM

Spotlight - Any time you see me out there stop and say hey. I hate that you had trouble with the dropper. I probably picked up 80% of my catch from yesterday on nymphs.

I talked to a guy about a week ago who was bragging about his buddy who is such a great fisherman that he "only uses dry flies".

Old 05-13-2010, 05:02 PM

The book Last Train to Elkmont is a must read for anyone that fishes the LR drainage...it is amazing how far up the mountain they cut....and how far up the river people actually lived...the book speaks of a cabin up Fish Camp Prong where it forks with Goshen Prong..I can remember a railroad bed that we used to come down from fishing up FCP past Goshen where there was no trail....rails had been removed but the ties were still there under a carpet of moss.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:18 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

Grouseman, my fishing skills with nymphs is hit or miss I still have a lot to learn I just get lucky a lot. For some reason on Wednesday I couldn't get it right I had one tug but missed the hook set. Last time I caught some nice ones on nymphs the water was a bit higher.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
The book Last Train to Elkmont is a must read for anyone that fishes the LR drainage...
Agreed.

I bought it and started reading it before going on a business trip. When I came back two days later I found it on my wife's night stand. She had read it cover to cover while I was gone. Very entertaining and enlightening book.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 05-13-2010, 11:12 PM

This is truly a great little book. The pictures are incredible. And it was particularly meaningful to me because, as a child, I knew Sam Henry (there's a chapter in the book about Sam and his wife). He was the lay leader at Campground Methodist Church in Townsend when my Dad was minister there in the late 50's, early 60's. Sam was a great and dear man.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com