Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-15-2010, 07:34 AM

Default Man photographs bear, bear bites man

Gut jerk reaction to this story. Why should a wild animal pay the ultimate price for man's stupidity?

http://www.citizen-times.com/article...NEWS/305150040

Addendum: Just read the newspaper comments to the story and apparently a lot of folks agree with me, most even stronger than my reaction.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:46 AM

That was my initial reaction as well, but I got to thinking. If the bear is not afraid to approach a full grown man (who should have known better) what might happen if it were a kid. Regretfully, they probably should put it down.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:35 AM

Perhaps the Park Service should start issuing hefty fines for people who get too close to bears. It may give them some much needed budget relief.

It is sad the bear will have to die due to this person's stupidity, but I agree, once an animal like that loses all fear of humans, it is probably best to kill the anima. Sad but true.

With no hunting and no natural predators, the population needs to be thinned out from time to time anyway for the overall health of all the bears. Overpopulation will lead to disease and starvation.

Jeff
Old 05-15-2010, 02:57 PM

I like how they say that they have a "bear that matches the description", that is too funny. lets see here, I bet it was Black, furry, with claws, and sharp teeth, walked on all four legs, and had a little stubby tail. Has anyone seen a bear that matches that description?

But all kidding aside, being a native Montanan it has always angered me when a bear has to be put down due to the stupid actions of a tourist or an idiot, every year they are putting down bears because idiots feed them, or go hiking when on their period, or leave camp trash laying about, or leave their food within reach of wild animals. With the staggering amount of morons populating and breading on this planet we are going to run out of wild bears.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
With the staggering amount of morons populating and breading on this planet we are going to run out of wild bears.
While the supply of idiots seems never ending.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:18 PM

One afternoon in Cades Cove and you'll see all the idiots one can take. It's a wonder more animals don't have to be put down considering what the spectators do in Cades Cove.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerdvr View Post
I like how they say that they have a "bear that matches the description", that is too funny. lets see here, I bet it was Black, furry, with claws, and sharp teeth, walked on all four legs, and had a little stubby tail. Has anyone seen a bear that matches that description?
That IS hilarious. A fine bit of detective work.

(It is sad that they'll have to put the bear down though, not making light of that. I think that the person should be heavily fined)
Old 05-15-2010, 10:11 PM

Seen parents letting their 5 year old children within 2 feet of bear on the laurel falls trail. That trail tends to attract the tourist morons en mass.

Looks like another bear will make it's way to the US129 side of the park where it will meet it's fate at the hands of those wonderfully intelligent and compassionate folk know as bear hunters.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:33 AM

"In his effort to photograph the bear, the visitor allowed it to approach within inches and the bear bit the manís foot".

I can't stand stuff like this. Some of these people who come into the park are incredibly stupid. I'm sure that this guy had stopped dead in his tracks and stood perfectly still.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 05-16-2010, 01:41 PM

The wound didn't even require medical attention. Sad story for that bear who was only being a bear.