Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-18-2010, 08:49 PM

Hi Trip,

Motorcycles scare the heck out of me. I feel safer hunting a wild boar than riding a bike. Be careful buddy. I will too.

Byron
Old 05-18-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I don't know how you guys boar hunt......
Spot and stalk, with a bow, and close enough that you can hear them breathe. I could tell you stories that would make my wife lock me in the house for the month of September.

I know you've had some bad experiences with some hunters, but if you ever want to experience the other side of it, just let me know. There's a good chance I'll be spending a week in September bow hunting hogs in South Cherokee, then most weekends in October, I'll be calling bears here locally. The only thing required, is to be in shape for alot of hiking, and a good pair of snake boots.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Begley View Post
Hi Trip,

Motorcycles scare the heck out of me. I feel safer hunting a wild boar than riding a bike. Be careful buddy. I will too.

Byron
Hey Byron, yeah I guess it's all about perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
Spot and stalk, with a bow, and close enough that you can hear them breathe. I could tell you stories that would make my wife lock me in the house for the month of September.

I know you've had some bad experiences with some hunters, but if you ever want to experience the other side of it, just let me know. There's a good chance I'll be spending a week in September bow hunting hogs in South Cherokee, then most weekends in October, I'll be calling bears here locally. The only thing required, is to be in shape for alot of hiking, and a good pair of snake boots.
I know a lot of good hunters, family members are big deer hunters and I love me some deer jerky. Again sorry about that generalization.

I may have to take you up on that offer if it is still good in October. Sounds like fun.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:22 PM

Default boar huntin vs. biking

wow. what a choice. i've never been pig shootin or motor biking. i think i'd enjoy boar hunting much more. eventhough the only real hunting i've done is for fish, i'm fully sympathetic with careful and considerate hunters. in fact, i think the world needs more hunters. also, more understanding of wildlife in general would greatly help matters. national parks, with their borders and rangers and what not, seem to get some people thinking that the animals within are somehow not really wild. the park and surrounding wild areas that we are fortunate enough to frequent are priceless gems in a world full of fool's gold. all too often, the park gets treated as just another attraction, as if it's just an extension of the circus known as gatlinburg.
with regard to rules and regulations, i'm not known for following every law to the t but in the park or other wild areas, i get peeved easily at the slightest breech. someone mentioned in a previous post about dog walking on the little river trail. i, too, have had a similar encounter. the rules are apparently for everybody else. and then when you raise some concern, they end up getting upset...about being called out.

p.s. these posts are freaking awesome to read.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:13 PM

As far as the rangers giving out fines, I know for a fact that the rangers at Elkmont will give fine for a camp with food left out. I forget which trip last year but in the camp 3 down from me was a bunch of young adults, that did a little to much partying. One passed out and hanging 1/2 out of a lawn chair, I figured that alone would teach him a lesson. But 10 min later he was rousted by a law enforcement ranger. I talked to him later and his fine was over $350 for food and trash violations. But last year it wasn't bear problems but coyote. I caught a coyote trying to get in my side window of my truck topper. He was very large and bold. Scratched the crap (can I say that?) out of my truck.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:24 AM

Trip, shoot me an email so I know how to get in touch with you.

ramappraisals@yahoo.com
Old 05-19-2010, 07:34 AM

Default Touron

I didn't know it was a real word. Google touron and the first hit is the Urban Dictionary. I think this photographer's picture should be beside the definition.

The derogatory term combines the words "Tourist" with "Moron" to describe any person who, while on vacation, commits an act of pure stupidity.

The term has its roots in the resort, park service and service industries and can easily be dated back at least as far as the mid 1970's. It is widely used throughout the US, but may not be in general use by mainstream society.

Mostly an inside "Joke", created to vent emotion when dealing with the public.

In Yosemite National Park, "Tourons" regularly block access into the park by stopping on the single lane road to take pictures of wildlife.

"Tourist, Please leave your brain before entering " was the sign in an underground cartoon in Yosemite in the late 1980s. It depicted the entrance to the park with a park service employee leaning out the gate to accept the brain of a tourist driving a Volkswagen Beetle. Another sign in the cartoon read "Night Drop".

The cartoon was seen in both park service and concessions offices during that period and reflects the over all harmless, yet critical view of people who forget how to act in public.

The "Touron" asked the Ranger when the deer were released for viewing.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:27 AM

I would venture to guess about 2/3 of the stupid stuff we see is because of a simple lack of respect and the general entitlement mentality that has become so pervasive in American society today. Those are the ones who anger me.

I believe the other 1/3 is a reflection of how urban and suburban our society has become and how detached we are from the land. Some of the people really don't have a clue how quickly they can become hurt and/or dead out in nature. Their experience in the wild is a lunge chair under a shade tree in their back yard. They long for some wilderness experience and head to places like Yellowstone, the Smoky Mountains, Everglades, etc. to seek that wilderness experience.

However, they have no skills to manage what may happen if things start going badly. It would be like me hopping on a big Harley and heading off on a cross country trip. I have ridden bikes a couple times and as long as everything went well, I'd probably be OK, but the moment something out of the ordinary happened, I'd be in a world of trouble.

I think many people who visit the park are in a place similar to me on a big bike. They have a basic level understanding, but are not really skilled or have any "tools" to handle what happens "if".

Some see a lazy looking bear and think just a little closer won't hurt and I'll get a great picture for the family or friends. What they don't realize is that bear can cross 30 feet in less than 1 second and as lazy as it may look, it is really fast and agile. They think, I have a good sense of balance and I can walk out just another step on that rock and get a great view of the valley below. They have no idea the rock may crumble below their feet and end up giving them a much closer look at the valley floor than they realized.

Then, there are the slobs who think it's OK to drop a used diaper in the parking lot or toss a beer can out next to the stream (why is it always Budweiser by the way).

The littering slobs and ones who are generally disrespectful are the ones that bother me the most.

My wife and I have done our best to raise our son to be respectful of people, their property, nature, the law and generally to be a person who has a sense of what's right and what's wrong. Unfortunately, sometimes I feel like we're the last 2 parents on Earth who do that.

I, too have enjoyed this thread.

Jeff
Old 05-19-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
Then, there are the slobs who think it's OK to drop a used diaper in the parking lot or toss a beer can out next to the stream (why is it always Budweiser by the way).
yeah the litterers amaze me with how eventive they get with the trash they throw out. I usually take part in a bi-annual clean up of US129. We find a lot of crazy stuff.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:38 PM

Default Touron

My wife used this term when she was a ranger at Mammoth Cave NP. The best questions were "how much of the cave is underground?" and " how much of the cave is unexplored?"

remember no matter how tanked you are you can always ask for a bud, the other brands get harder to say the more you drink