Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-25-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old tom View Post
Gut jerk reaction to this story. Why should a wild animal pay the ultimate price for man's stupidity?

http://www.citizen-times.com/article...NEWS/305150040

Addendum: Just read the newspaper comments to the story and apparently a lot of folks agree with me, most even stronger than my reaction.

I'm sure it's been said, but because the next person it bites and/or kills could be someone's child. There must be a distinction made between an animal and a human being. I think most folks would agree that the chance it will bite/attack/munch/taste again with possibly fatal consequences for a human being is reason enough.

Do I think people get way too close to the bears and other wildlife? Absolutely, 100%.

Do I think the wildlife in the park is more important than human life? nope.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:06 PM

Fair point, Owl. I certainly wouldn't want to see someone who is totally innocent, such as a child, harmed in any way. And from what I've read, relocation of the bear is not an option either - once they've had a taste of the human flesh, they can't be trusted not to come back for seconds.

I don't think the guy who was bitten should face the same consequenses as the bear. And I don't know what courses are required to earn a degree in environmental studies. But I can't for the life of me, understand how you could get close enough to a wild animal to get bitten and still think you've done nothing wrong. Apparently the guy is even stupider than I originally thought.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:32 PM

I think most people would give animals a wider berth if they knew just how quick that animal can close the gap between you and them. I don't know that any type of fine or punishment is necessary for the fellow that was bitten. What good is that going to do anyone?