Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 05-17-2010, 02:30 PM

Default Simms waders

How many of you have Simms and what do you think of their durability. I'm rough as a cobb and would value your opinions, before I drop 3 or 4 bills on waders.
Lynn
Old 05-17-2010, 04:32 PM

I've had a pair of the Guide waders since 2004... I'm rough as **** on them, and I haven't had the first problem. I often slide down rocks on my butt, charge through brush and briers, and just generally waller around. My only complaint would be weight, but that's a very minor issue. Besides, they may not have held up as well if they were lighter anyway.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:48 PM

I have a pair of Simms Freestone waders. They're not terribly expensive but have held up well for 4 years now and like Carlito, I'm not very kind to waders. I fish pretty much getting in probably 100+ days a year on the water. About half of those are wearing waders and these Simms are the only waders I own.

So far, no leaks. This spring, I noticed just a little dampness on my feet around where the booties are sewn to the legs but it's not bad enough to go about tryingto fix anything.

When these finally bite the dust, I'd gladly buy another pair with no second thoughts.

Hope this helps.
Jeff
Old 05-18-2010, 11:31 AM

I'm thinking about getting the convertibles. I really appreciate you guys for taking the time to respond, it has been real help.
Lynn
Old 05-18-2010, 08:37 PM

I've had two pair of the L2 waders, which I've worn for the past 5 years or so. The first pair lasted a good 3 1/2 years before I retired them. They weren't the guides, and were a bit more lightly constructed, but I fished them pretty hard, and did my fair share of bushwhacking in them. At one point I spilled 100% DEET on them, and they developed some pinhole leaks. They went back to Simms, who repaired them for $9 including shipping, and were returned with a new patch kit and some aquaseal. After several rock-sliding episodes, I had a couple more leaks, and decided to buy another pair (as the L2's had been discontinued and were heavily discounted). I'll be wearing these until they fail, and then I might trade up to the Guides.

When I bought the first pair, I had decided on another company's waders. The shop owner (not LRO) refused to sell me any waders but Simms. I was told that the company that I wanted waders from had a track record of about 30% of the waders coming back within the first few months leaking, and Simms did not. The Simms were more expensive, but man I have been pleased with my purchase since.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:47 PM

Didn't want to go the Simms route, but man was I tired of leaky waders. Tried Orvis, about as waterproof as my vest. Tried Patagonia, they're still in the box to send back for repair. Once I finally broke down and bought the G3's, I've forgotten to even think about the Pat's. Man do I treat waders tough, what with the park and all, plus walking mile after mile on tailwaters. I always protect them on the way home and hang dry then roll up loosely and place in my gear bag, but when I'm fishing, I'm not the most careful. Get 'em, you'll love 'em.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:22 PM

I had really good luck with my Chota's and my Simms seem to be holding up fine.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:09 PM

Good to know, I have had my Orvis for about 2 months now and have about 3 to 4 holes. I am not really sure, water is coming in from somewhere though. LOL
Old 05-19-2010, 09:50 PM

My Simms waders are about 7 years old. Not one leak. I crawl in them, slide in them, scrape them, bang them, and don't wash them( can't wash off the trout luck). AND, when I got them back 7 years ago I bought the cheapest pair they made. Simms made a believer out of me.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:59 AM

Simply the best. I bought a pair forever ago, I have now had them replaced by Simms 3 times free of charge. I am brutal on gear, and so when I spring a leak I mail em back and Simms sends me a new pair. there are some stipulations on the return policy but I have never an an issue, Love their boots, flats sneakers etc.. American operated. Good people, good products.

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"