Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 05-20-2010, 11:00 AM

again guys thanks for all the info. I think you all have made up my mind for me. This will be my 6th pair in 15 years and I want to improve my %, before .I dont mind spending money when I can rely on my equipment.
Thanks again, Lynn
Old 01-03-2011, 10:11 PM

I have a pair of Simms G3 waders that are in their 3rd year. They are the best waders I've ever had. Best feature is the great fit of the bootie. Extremely durable. I like the hand-warmer pocket to keep my hands warm and my hankie dry. Made in Montana. Simms makes any repairs that might be needed.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the reviews. I'm on my third and last pair of Cabelas waders. Every pair that I had leaked around the tape on the boots. This last pair leaked and Cabelas wanted me to send them back, at my expense, for evaluation. The would repair or replace them. Actually, I didn't want another pair of Cabelas waders. FWIW, my wife has Hodgeman waders and so far, no problems. I will definitely look at Simms for my next waders.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebw View Post
I have a pair of Simms G3 waders that are in their 3rd year. They are the best waders I've ever had. Best feature is the great fit of the bootie. Extremely durable. I like the hand-warmer pocket to keep my hands warm and my hankie dry. Made in Montana. Simms makes any repairs that might be needed.
+1 on the Simms G3's! My wife & I both have G3's that are two years old, and they are the best. We both got tired of leaky waders, and spent the money for the Simms. We've not regretted our decision, and they are still leak free.

Bill
Old 01-04-2011, 01:27 PM

I have a pair of Freestone waders that I bought 5 years ago this spring. Have yet to develop a leak or have seam tape come loose. (Knock on wood) My next pair when I decide to retire these will be Simms as well. This was the cheapest pair Simms offered at that time, and I actually bought them on clearance for $139. They are very comparable to the Blackfoot line Simms currently carries.

As far as maintenance goes, I wash mine after probably every 15 trips. And after each wash I spray them with Revivex repellent. Makes them as good as new. I always hang to dry for at least 3 days after each trip, and then roll them up for storage. Never folding, as the creases can cause weak spots in the material. Also, I wear my waders on the majority of my trips since it is primarily tailwater fishing, between 30 and 40 trips a year.

I am curious about the repairs others have mentioned. I have never had to send them back for anything, so that intrigues me. If it is a 100% lifetime guarantee, then that can't be beat. That may be something worth looking into, and could be a critical factor in a person's decision making process. One pair with a lifetime guarantee should be a hands down winner over a pair that may cost 1/3 the price but have to be replaced every 3 years.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 01-04-2011, 02:43 PM

ChemE-

I'm with you on keeping your waders clean which apparently extends the life of a pair of waders. After each trip, I carefully wash the mud & grime off of the waders and hang them up to thoroughly dry for a couple of days. Also, I want to make sure that I've removed any didymo from the waders, boots, and any other gear thats been in the water.

I searched a long time for these waders, talked to friends, talked to my local fly shop, etc. Everyone said to get Simms. Simms guarantee is no "BS."

Thanks for the tip about ReviveX, I'll try to get some next time I can find it at an outdoor store. Wasn't aware that it would help maintain waders, and I would guess that it would work on GoreTex outerwear.

Thanks

Bill
Old 01-04-2011, 04:00 PM

I've had the same luck with medium quality Simms as I had with medium quality Cabela's. They were both OK, but nothing special. Since I have a hard time paying more that $175 for anything, I currently own a pair of Frogg Togg waders that I got for about $115. So far they are great, but I'll know more in another year or two.

Here is an excellent video on how two repair pin holes in any breathable wader.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/repairs_main_new.html
Old 01-05-2011, 08:54 PM

Good video and great information! I'm going to try that with my waders and see what happens. I fished yesterday and the right boot was full of water plus small leaks in other places.