Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 10-25-2009, 12:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT
Question Asheville Area Fishing

Hi all,

It has been a very long while since I have posted on here, but I need advice and I knew that someone here could probably help me out.

I am attending UNC-Asheville. I need to fish. I know there are a few streams and rivers surrounding my location.

Does anyone have any specific reccommendations on where to chase trout down here? Im used to mountain streams that are foot-accessable. I tend to prefer those streams.

I appreciate any help.

Best,
Justin

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 10-25-2009, 09:38 PM

MtnTrt,
I feel your pain. I don't know the Asheville area but I was there last week and stopped by Curtis Wright Outfitters in Biltmore Village. Seemed like a nice bunch of folks. I would suggest dropping by there and asking.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-26-2009, 12:03 PM

Justin--You are absolutely surrounded by fine wild trout water in the Pisgah National Forest and, not far away, in the Park. A copy of my new book, "Fly Fishing in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park: An Insider's Guide to a Pursuit of Passion," will give you details on the Park. Also, the NCWRC has a "Trout Maps" book which shows trout streams and how they are managed (wild trout water, hatchery supported, etc.) on a county by county basis.
Then too, there are outfitters all around. Frank Smith at Hunter Banks has been in business a long time. You should make a point of attending the WNC Fly Fishing Expo (at the agricultural grounds near Asheville) on Nov. 7 and 8. Hope this helps a bit.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 10-26-2009, 01:02 PM

Thanks guys! I have looked at a few streams from NC's Rec site. Ill delve into it a bit more.

Hunter Banks is actually right down the road from my apartment, and as soon as I catch a chance, Ill head down there, as well as some other shops.

Thanks again.

Best.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:07 AM

Default Fishing Adventure Partner

I checked in with a couple of the local shopes here, per the advice of a couple members.

Now, I know where to go and I have some suggestions on how to fish. I wouldnt mind, though, if someone wanted to go this with me. If anyone here is in the Asheville area, let's see if we can lock down on a common time to go fishing for a few hours.

Best,
Justin

Old 11-04-2009, 12:58 PM

Sup bro, I live bout 20 minutes west of Asheville, fish all the time and I have been here about 3-4 years so i have gotten to know quite a bit, we can certainly go fish sometime if you want, I go to WCU and am in Grad school work in Waynesville, got good water everywhere from small streams to some great tailwaters within a couple hours and less. Shoot me an email some time and we can chat I will be draggin my boat to the beach this weekend to chase Reds and trout but come spring I will be looking for someone to fish the several creeks that feed Fontana also we got Waynesvill Fly shop lots of good info there too Gary owns it and Doug works there good guys, like Mr. Casada said hit that WNC fly expo this weekend should be good. Barry
bmurphy055@gmail.com

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 05-30-2010, 02:34 PM

Found this thread on the Asheville area during a search for some info on an upcoming trip to Asheville this weekend. I'll have all day Friday to fish by myself and after a 1/2 day guided trip Saturday I may still feel like fishing some more . Not looking for anybodys honey holes but could use some direction to some local public water. I'm not picky about what I catch as long as I can catch something it is a successfull trip .
I've already got Hunter Banks Company and Curtis Wright Outfitters entered into the nav system as must stops but welcome anymore options