Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 05-19-2010, 03:19 PM

Default Yet Another - Take 2

Hello everyone. I live just south of Lexington, KY in Jessamine County. I've had a fly rod since I was ~16 (34 now) but it was a once every year or two type of thing for me until about 4 years ago or so. Now, it's a full force addiction! Luckily, I have a very understanding wife with an addiction of her own - she rides horses. I've hiked in the Smokies for years, but finally got around to fly fishing about 2 months ago. I always thought it would be too difficult, but I caught a few rainbows my first trip even with really high water. We came down to hike up to and stay at LeConte Lodge two weeks ago and convinced my wife to let me fish for a few hours before we headed home. And I'm planning on coming down next week - fish Friday and Saturday morning and then get out of there before I'm trampled by bear jam tourists!

I think I'm going to stay in Elkmont Campground. Anyone have any suggestions for any other the campgrounds - inside or out of the park? I just have a tent and can't stand the RV parks with no trees and where everyoen is on top of each other.

Glad to be a part of a great forum!
MD
Old 05-19-2010, 05:07 PM

Foxhollow--Welcome, and I hope you will find the interaction here educational and entertaining. I can assure you that there are a number of interesting folks as participants, not to mention a considerable bank of knowledge.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 05-20-2010, 05:18 PM

Welcome Foxhollow. I've stayed at Elkmont. It's a nice campground...be aware that you'll need to make a reservation since we are past May 15. From the National Parks web site....

During summer and fall, sites at Elkmont, Smokemont, Cades Cove, and Cosby may be reserved online or by phone at (877) 444-6777. Reservations are accepted only for May 15-Oct 31. All other campgrounds are first-come, first-served. Additional information about when you can make reservations.

The folks on here are helpful and great source of information about camping and fishing in the GSMNP. I'm usually just a once a year visitor to the Elkmont campground so I don't have any info with regards to the other camping sites.