Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 06-09-2010, 05:12 PM

Default Forum members of yesteryear?

Where have some of the old forum members gone to?
Flat Fly n
ijsouth
Gerry Romer
Fishermansfly
mtnman2888

Maybe I have just missed some of their recent posts? When I first joined the forums, I used to really enjoy reading the posts of those members.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:22 PM

Don't know the answer to your question for sure, I'm not all that surprised though.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:21 PM

Priorities change, some lose interest, bitterness, too much arguing, tired of people just trying to increase their post count, etc.

Those are a few of the reasons I have been given by some of our past members. I do miss seeing the posts of the elder Romer and his son, they were always quite amusing. I am pleased to see Hans response to this thread, unfortunately he too has been missing in action quite a lot recently.

People come and go, and message boards change. Hopefully these fine individuals will find their way back at some point in the future.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 06-10-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
People come and go, and message boards change. Hopefully these fine individuals will find their way back at some point in the future.
My sentiments exactly ChemEAngler.
I also think maybe some people just couldn't handle all the kiss & tell about stream names & access, which is understandable. I have been trying lately to be more courteous with specifics like that in an effort to not run anyone off.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:41 AM

Smile My opinion.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Priorities change, some lose interest, bitterness, too much arguing, tired of people just trying to increase their post count, etc.
I find this is true with many things in life. I enjoy this forum and learning from others. I find it fun to see what is going on around the area when it comes to fly fishing and this forum has some great posters. I try to post fun and interesting things to me and hopefully...to others.

Now for the social politics; there are always people that have different personalities and different agendas. I administered the largest wakeboarding website in the World for many years. I always found it best to let the message boards police themselves.....besides the few obvious and perverse posts that would happen. That being said; most of perpetual members can develop a decent opinion of the personality of others but what they post in the forums. The forums do not need someone to call foul on a topic or question the integrity of a poster. We all can make our own assumptions and respect the ideas and techniques of others.

The main thing to remember for me is that we all have a reason for joining this forum. My reason is to learn about fly fishing in this area, meet new friends that share my interest, learn from veterans, and to help others if I think I have something interesting to share. Sometimes egos and personal issues get entangled in our posts. One thing to remember is that drinking alcohol and posting on the internet is always a bad idea & drinking and ebaying
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-10-2010, 11:17 PM

First, I think this is one of the most polite boards I read. There have been a few heated discussions, but I've never seen an all out flame war raging even on highly charged topics like firearms in the park.

As for the kiss and tell, I appreciate it. There really are very few "secret" streams in the park and I think the really delicate ones are pretty well protected. I never did understand the "caught this in a secret stream" stuff.

In all reality, in the park, the general advice of "find a stream, hike 30 minutes off the road and start fishing" is pretty sound and often repeated.

I would venture to say the reason is as has been stated before, some interests change, some move on to other things, some get busy with life, and some may leave angry but given the nature of this board would make it unusual for someone to leave angry.

Jeff
Old 06-11-2010, 12:08 AM

Forgot to mention that karma has a way of taking care of itself; and I will be watching Waterwolf on the Clinch and this forum.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-11-2010, 02:58 AM

One of the most polite forums?

In all my internet travels from forum to forum, this is THE most polite group of people I have ever encountered. Also, the group that's the slowest to anger, and the most willing to hear all sides of an issue, and argue with civility. I think it's a reflection of the way our hosts and fly shop owners do business and ( I'm assuming here) live their lives. We respect them, and by that each other here.

I know I get under the skin of some folks, but I'm always honest about what I feel and find that people who are members of LRO's forums are some of the most intelligent folks I've ever had the pleasure to discuss flyfishing with......and some of the most helpful, if not the most helpful.

Kudos to LRO, to the members here, and to Paula and Byron and everyone at LRO for leading the way in treating everyone with respect and civility.

Last edited by Owl; 06-11-2010 at 02:58 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 06-11-2010, 05:24 PM

Granny and I have talked about members who are MIA a couple times before. Several of them really had a lot of knowledge and actually brought something to the board. I hate that there not around.

I'm glad to see that the Swede is poking around here after a little break...

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 06-11-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl View Post
One of the most polite forums?

In all my internet travels from forum to forum, this is THE most polite group of people I have ever encountered. Also, the group that's the slowest to anger, and the most willing to hear all sides of an issue, and argue with civility. I think it's a reflection of the way our hosts and fly shop owners do business and ( I'm assuming here) live their lives. We respect them, and by that each other here.

I know I get under the skin of some folks, but I'm always honest about what I feel and find that people who are members of LRO's forums are some of the most intelligent folks I've ever had the pleasure to discuss flyfishing with......and some of the most helpful, if not the most helpful.

Kudos to LRO, to the members here, and to Paula and Byron and everyone at LRO for leading the way in treating everyone with respect and civility.
Owl,
You said it much better than I did.
Jeff