Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-27-2010, 10:25 AM

Default Fishing in the rain

I was fishing Tuesday night about 7:00 on the upper portion of the middle prong using a crystal stimulator with some success. It started to rain but not so hard that you couldn't fish. Should I have stuck with the dry fly or switched to a nymph when the rain started? I have never been in that situation before.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:36 AM

Shinbruiser--Such times can be magical providing there are no heavenly pyrotechnics. My preference, then as at other times, is for a dry fly and a dropper. But there's nothing wrong with sticking with a dry fly. The rain washes all sorts of food for trout into the stream and often sets them off on a feeding binge.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 05-27-2010, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'll add a dropper next time.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:00 AM

Crickets, ants, beetles, and a san juan worm dropper can be deadly also.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:24 AM

As Jim said, unless it's a gully washer or there is lightning, high wind or other things that would make it dangerous, fishing in the rain can be quite enjoyable.

I only get to the mountains a few times a year but around here in Kentucky, I fish a lot when it rains and have found fish frequently feed quite heavily on the bounty the rain has washed into the streams and lakes.

As I told my son this year when we were fishing and a rain came up. The fish are already wet, they don't mind the rain.

Now, when it's really windy, I don't like being out risking a tree falling on my head, and I'm no fan of waving a 9' long lightning rod around over my head when the sky starts flashing. Also, when I'm stream fishing, I keep an eye on what the sky looks like upstream of where I'm fishing.

Flash floods are a real danger when fishing running water. Keep an eye out for rising water, unusual amounts of debris floating in the water, a sudden subtle change in water color, anything that looks or sounds abnormal. If you see it, get out and make sure you're getting out on the right side of the stream.

If it was nothing, in a while you'll know and can always start fishing again, but if it is a flash flood coming, you don't want to get stranded on the wrong side of the stream. It could be miles before you find a place to cross.

Jeff
Old 05-27-2010, 11:41 AM

Rain can be a real turn on to the fishing...if it is hard enough then it will kill your dry fly...one of the best days I ever had was when it got dark and cool one summer morning and the rain came in...it was a soft, warm rain but not enough to blow out the river...switched from a dry fly to a lead-wing coachman and for more than an hour it was almost a fish on every cast....hardly even noticed that it was raining.