Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 05-25-2010, 01:12 PM

Default Big South Fork Float Trip - Riveroo 2010

Aloha. I'll be doing an extended float trip on the Big South Fork this weekend with a group of friends (Riveroo 2010), and I'm debating whether I should take my fly rod...

My girlfriend and I will be in our canoe, along with camping gear and probably a cooler full of coldbeer (for those of ya'll that don't live in the South, coldbeer is one word around here!).

I need to be on my A-game in the boat. My girlfriend isn't very comfortable on the water yet. Although she can hold her own just fine, I need to be paying attention during the entire float, some of which will be on some fairly fast water.

I'm thinking that every time I go out on the water without my rod, I end up cussing myself for not bringing it along, so I am considering bringing along my 4 pc. 4 wt. and a handful of woolie boogers in case I get the itch.

Thoughts? Fly recommendations? We leave on Friday.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:37 PM

Carl, assuming you are starting at Leatherwood Ford or Station Camp and going to Blue Heron, my experience has been that you will want to have a paddle in hand at all times, either to push through the massive stretches of flat water, or to navigate the short bursts of shallow riffles.

A fishing rod might come in handy if you make camp early enough to set out on your own for a while.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:50 PM

deleted post

Last edited by Troutman; 05-27-2010 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: drinking and boating don't mix
Old 05-25-2010, 08:19 PM

Carlito - I have also been debating the fly rod issue.

Like Cody said, it probably won't see any action until the late afternoon. And, there is the danger of Hewitt using it to cook hotdogs.

Right now I am thinking that I might take a spinning rig, if I can remember how to use one. I've got a sweet little four piece Browning.

Rooster tails and Little Cleo's?

If you do take a fly rod let me know. I don't want to look unrefined.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 05-26-2010, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Codman. I had a feeling that was the case, and the last thing I need is to dump Sara into the river if I can help it!

Elkins, I bought a couple popper bugs yesterday and I've got a handful of various streamers. I think I'm going to bring the fly rod after all, especially knowing you were planning to do some fishing too. I'll definitely have to keep it out of Hewitt's reach... He might also try to sacrifice it to the river god to get his bottle of Woodford Reserve back
Old 05-26-2010, 08:30 PM

Smile Now if you are real smart

You can sucker your girlfriend into paddling the lakes and letting you fish.

We caught a few bass when we went, but I thought the fishing was pretty lame. There were some spots that "looked real nice, but only seemed to do well in the floating lakes (at current levels there will be plenty). Have fun and if your looking to drink beer and float, it probably the perfect place. Only Class 3 is within close distance to take-out so if you mess up you won't have to sleep in wet clothes. On this rapid stay left. You will start to pick up speed. There is then a big eddy on the left along a rock ledge, which you would be smart to catch, so that you can line up for last drop that is slightly undercut. If you miss eddy and go full blaze through there you might not see the what we whitewater paddlers call "FU" rocks and could easily cause you to dump you and your girlfriend into the river. And one more whitwater term for my fishing friend. What do we call tandem canoes .......Divorce boats.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:58 PM

Carlito & Grouseman....
I believe the spot duckypaddler is referring to is called the devils drop. I think your fearless leader will be recommending a portage at that spot. Bring a long rope...you can walk along the rocks (15-20 feet above the chute) and guide your boat through.

Besides Angel Falls, that will be the only other spot you might want to get out and take the high road.

I'll post a picture if I can find it in the archives.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:20 PM

Granny - by fearless leader I assume that you could only be talking about Clinton, Tennessee's favorite son?

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 05-26-2010, 10:50 PM

If it were me I would leave it behind, I have never had any great success on BSF. Always heard it was decent just never had it produce for me. Of course, I would regret not having it, but that is par for the course.

Think I would focus on the girl and beer, in reverse order of course
Old 05-27-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
What do we call tandem canoes .......Divorce boats.
LMAO! That's great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Of course, I would regret not having it, but that is par for the course.

Think I would focus on the girl and beer, in reverse order of course
I like your advice, Jim! I'll probably end up bringing it along and not catching squat, but I know if I leave it at home I'll probably sit around camp thinking, "**** that water looks fishy..."

I think the thing for me to do is leave the rod tucked away in a safe place while we're floating and then try my luck in the afternoon.

This is my first trip down the BSF, and I'm PUMPED.