Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Boats, Canoes and Kayaks

Old 08-02-2010, 08:06 AM

Default Freedom hawk kayaks

Anyone on here have experience floating E TN rivers with the freedom hawk kayaks? looks to be great for flat water fishing but wonder how they are on moving water with shoals and rocky ledges.
http://www.freedomhawkkayaks.com/products.php
Old 08-02-2010, 07:42 PM

I don't have any experience with Freedom Hawk kayaks but they look like a great idea. If the 14' boat came with the in-line feature that the 12' boats have I might buy one. I have been thinking about buying a kayak but from what I have read they are hard to fish from on a river while the generators are on. I would think that this boat would be better in that regard. I wish there was a dealer near here where you could demo or rent one. If you get one I would like to hear what you think about it.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:45 PM

The closest dealer that would probably have them in stock is river supply in bluff city. I was planning on driving up this weekend to check them out and maybe check out the sulph. hatch on the Soho, but had to change plans again.
I'm also waiting on the new river fishing kayak from Jackson kayak to come out. Supposed to be the best designed kayak for rivers on the market.

Don't think I would take any kayak or canoe out on the river during heavy generation to try and fish from. A fast ride down the river for the scenery maybe. A drift boat or jon with a jet drive, would be much safer.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
I'm also waiting on the new river fishing kayak from Jackson kayak to come out. Supposed to be the best designed kayak for rivers on the market.
They just had the first press release at the Outdoor Retailer show, named it the Coosa Elite:
http://ors.goexposoftware.com/2010/F...skit.final.pdf

Blake
Old 08-03-2010, 09:52 AM

Thanks for the info Blake. I saw Drew's video on his laptop for the prototype when he was here for the Sevierville tourny. Glad someone is actually designing something for river anglers. I sold my aire lynx and very antcy waiting on the Jackson to be released. Gettting tired of lifting my 16ft Mohawk canoe on top of my truck!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:51 AM

Has anyone tried the Hobie Mirage ProAngler? It looks like it might be a great kayak to fish from. Has a pointy bow which should make track through the water fairly straight, has a broad beam for stability with plenty of storage built in, rod holders, and some other nice features.

Don't care for their funky propulsion system, would rather have a good trolling motor. Here is the link:

http://www.hobiecat.com/fishing/models_proangler.html

I'd like some opinions on this if you would care to chime in.

Thanks

Bill
Old 08-03-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
I saw Drew's video on his laptop for the prototype when he was here for the Sevierville tourny.
Wish I would have known you were there, as I would have sat down and chatted with you.

I ended up making two critical mistakes that hurt my final score. Also didn't help I checked in a couple minutes late. I pushed the limits but I was on a new to me float so it took a bit longer than I expected. The perils of tournament fishing, should of, could of, would of,
Old 08-03-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfish View Post
Wish I would have known you were there, as I would have sat down and chatted with you.

I ended up making two critical mistakes that hurt my final score. Also didn't help I checked in a couple minutes late. I pushed the limits but I was on a new to me float so it took a bit longer than I expected. The perils of tournament fishing, should of, could of, would of,
I stopped by BPS after work on that friday afternoon before going home. I went by to meet Drew and some of the other guys from the RB forum. I did not fish the tourney but probably could have placed pretty high if I had. I fished earlier in the week and had several 18-19" smallies on the fly from a local river. Not sure how many who competed used fly gear if any.

Kytroutbum, I thought about trying the Hobie, but with the propulsion system on that yak, I would be afraid of busting it loose on a shallow rock in the rivers. There seems to be too much stuff in the cockpit area to grab the flyline also.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:32 PM

Troutman-

I agree, those foot pedals to run their propulsion system is just too much in the cockpit. If you eliminated that "stuff" and went with a rear mounted trolling motor, I think it would be fine for fly flingin" IMHO.

Bill
Old 08-03-2010, 05:14 PM

FlySouth in Nashville carries the Freedom Hawk 12. It looks great and was designed to be able to mount a trolling motor in the center between the 2 pontoons...I think they sell them for $995. The 12 weighs about 50 pounds when you take the outriggers off and 72 lbs all together. The only negative I can see on it might be the extra drag you'd get because of the outriggers.

I have the Native Ultimate 12 (about 55 lbs) and its very stable but its still not something I'd feel comfortable standing up in to fly fish out of...I think it retails for about the same price as the Freedom Hawk. Its probably easier to paddle than the FH simply because it doesn't have any outriggers.

I guess in the end its how much you value being able to stand up and fish out of your craft.