Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-26-2010, 03:09 PM

Default Heading to Deep Creek Next Week

I'm going in on Monday solo, staying at #59, not sure how long I'll stay, it just depends on when I get ready to head back to civilization.

I've read a lot of good info here about Deep Creek. I'm looking forward to the trip.

Is it correct that I can get a backcountry permit at the front country campground?
Old 05-26-2010, 03:30 PM

ifishforwildtrout--Yes, you can get a permit at the frontcountry site. You drive into the camping portion of the campground (as opposed to the picnic side across the creek) and there's a little check-in station there. The permit box is on the wall. Your choice of a site, if I remember right #59 is McCracken Branch (I know them by names, not numbers), is an excellent one. It puts you squarely in the middle of what I consider the best that Deep Creek has to offer, and there are a copule of big, deep holes nearby that always hold a monster brown.
I envy you the opportunity and going it alone, while not something I will do at the age of 68, is a grand and glorious experience. You fish as you wish, dawdle when the mood hits, sleep in if the spirit moves you, eat exactly what you want, and in general don't have to cater to the whims of anyone else. Have a grand time in the stream I consider my home water.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 05-26-2010, 03:45 PM

McCracken Branch is correct. I have read the Deep Creek chapter of your book several times. As I stated earlier, I am excited and can't wait.

Does anyone have an opinion on which tastes better, browns or rainbows?
Old 05-26-2010, 05:49 PM

Don't know if I could taste the difference in a blind test. But, just generally speaking, rainbows are smaller and skinnery. Even though a big fat brown may have more meat on it, I prefer a 7 to 9 inch fish that cooks up nice and crisp.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:49 PM

Release the browns to grow big, eat the rainbows...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-26-2010, 07:03 PM

I agree with Old Tom, and closer to seven inches is, for me, better than close to nine inches. Truth be told, although it is a non-starter in Park waters, my favorite eating trout are about five inches long (legal in many N. C. state waters). I think browns are slightly inferior, taste-wise, and as Plateau Angler suggests, they have the potential to become big boys. Rainbows don't, at least not in Deep Creek, where browns now rule the roost.
Oddly enough, it hasn't always been that way. When someone caught a brown in the 1950s, it was a matter for comment as opposed to an everyday thing.

Since Ifish4wildtrout is going to be at McCracken Branch, I feel obligated to share one of my favorite "mountain folks" stories. It focuses on a fellow named Britt McCracken, who was a member of the family for whom the branch is named.

He was a quick, witty guy, and at one point in his life he drove a regular bus route between Cherokee and Waynesville, going the old route over Soco and through Maggie Valley. Those of you who know the road will reale that on the Cherokee side of Soco, it is steep and winding.
Britt had a load of Cherokees, all of whom made the trip regularly, along with one "flatlander," a middle-aged lady who was seated immediately behind him. Running a bit late, he was letting it all hang out going down Soco, and the Indians paid the speed no heed. However, within a mile the woman was muttering about him going too fast. He ignored her but she just became more vocal and finally said: "Driver, if you'll stop this bus I'll get off."
Tired of listening to her, Britt replied: "Lady, if I could stop this bus we'd both get off."
Silence reigned supreme the rest of the trip down the mountain.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 05-27-2010, 10:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

Wildtrout I will pass you on the way out I am heading down from the top of Deep Creek on Saturday and staying at Bryson place #57.....one of my favs! I will give you the report on the way down I have found some really nice water and fish they many times I have been up there rough terrain and a good hike but well worth it IMO.