Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-23-2010, 11:11 PM

Default Report 5/23 Gaintfish and Rattle Snake.

We got camp set up at Elkmont Thur. by 6:30 pm, I couldn't stand it headed to the river with my newly built 6'6 4pc 4wt. Had a ton or rises, but I didn't get the nickname miss em Bennett for no reason! Missed about 10. Went back to camp dragging my wounded ego!!!
Rained most of the night and into the morning, So I decided to head up WFPR, caught a beautiful Brookie and one small rainbow. But were a victory for me, caught them on my flyrod I built and flies I tied.
[IMG][/IMG]
But that was it for the day.
Saturday I wanted to head up Litter river and get ahead of the crowd. Hiked all the way to campsite 24 and you would have thought we were on the Caney, I have never seen that many fly-fishers on the river. turned around and headed back to just above Huskey Branch. Not a sole in sight, caught 6 wen I started seeing the wetfoot prints, Man I was still fishing 2nd water.

But if was beautiful. Oops picture of different river. Still a nice picture. Then I spotted the someone in front of me, he headed across two runs then tried to get close to the bank. Asked how I was doing, OK but only 6 fish, WOW what are you using BHPN, thats the same thing I using. I then politely suggested if he worked up stream he won't spoke the fish. After he left I caught 4 more believe it or not. But Gaintfish was having a hard day still had a big Zero and was ready to go.
Dropped hem off at camp and headed a little lower on LR.

Caught this nice brown and six nice fat rainbows.
Sunday headed up WPLR, caught 8-10 more nice Rainbows. They are really fat this year. Had to head out around noon to get home to make Momma happy. But ran into a road block on the trail.

and he would not move, I guess he was sunning and he was content, had to climb the bank to get around him. All these times I have joked about nothing up WPLR but rattle snakes is coming back to haunt me.
overall we had a great time. Gaintfish did manage to bring one to hand, and of course Dear old dad was just lucky!!!
Old 05-23-2010, 11:17 PM

Default ha ha...

glad i'm not the only one missing fish consistently. looks like a grand time was had by all, even the lazy trail boss. the fish i've managed to land seem to be fatter as well. good to see healthy sized fins. nice lookin fish too.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:12 PM

Default Snake?

Is that a rattler or a copperhead? Might just be my old eyes, but the picture looks more like a copperhead to me

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 05-24-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmike View Post
Is that a rattler or a copperhead? Might just be my old eyes, but the picture looks more like a copperhead to me

Mike
You might want to schedule an eye exam.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 05-24-2010, 09:52 PM

I have seen more snakes already this year than I have in the past three years combined. Nice rattlesnake.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:46 PM

Default It is time for that exam...

Might be my pc's color messing me up as well, the snake in the pic looks much lighter in color than most the Rattlers I've seen up that way, thought they were much darker

Of course i gotta say I really wouldn't want either one to see me first or bite me :O)

Thanks,
Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 05-25-2010, 01:23 AM

Thanks i was going fishing tomorrow.....

and they an't no trails in where i was going......

also dial up sucks when you are trying to live vicariously through other peoples stories and pictures........
Old 05-25-2010, 08:32 AM

No it was a big lazy Rattle snake. He barely became alert, did not even rattle, but he had a nice set of rattles. I didn't get real close but it looked to be 7-8 rattles. I here they will be real active next week, so If I was you I would stay out of WPLP all next week. I will go down and check it out A few times next week and let everyone know when it is safe again, after I get back from the mountains next week.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
No it was a big lazy Rattle snake. He barely became alert, did not even rattle, but he had a nice set of rattles. I didn't get real close but it looked to be 7-8 rattles. I here they will be real active next week, so If I was you I would stay out of WPLP all next week. I will go down and check it out A few times next week and let everyone know when it is safe again, after I get back from the mountains next week.
Yeah, this time of year the rattlers start chasing people. Especially when they smell like trout. I'd avoid the Park at all costs.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:02 PM

I'm just looking out for the safety of others. I suggest it would be best to stay in Ohio and fish them there water.

Nice fatty btw.