Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-31-2010, 06:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite
Default 5-31 report

Fished through the raain this morning starting on the gravel raod above the tremont institute. I havent fished there all year even though i live so close, and to my suprise it fished kind of hard. I caught fish, a couple of decent ones, but not as many as I had hopes given the rain and stained water.

Around 10 or so I moved just below Metcalf, and caugth ALOT of fish. All came on nymphs, and it didn't seem to matter whice nymph I used (hairs ear, pt, prince, and zug bug). I tried addig split shot, adding more split shot, and fishing with no split shot, and again it didnt make a difference, caught fish all 3 ways.

One last side not, i only saw one other person fly fishing... Did you all stay home because of holiday? If so you missed out on some spectacular water copnditions and fishing...
Old 05-31-2010, 08:39 PM

2weight,
I was fishing Middle Prong this morning - in the rain. Only caught 5 and broke my new 9' 4wt St. Croix two weeks before I leave for Colorado. Bummer, dude.

The best size fish of the day came out of the water splashing like crazy and then went behind a rock in shallow water. It immediately went still. I tugged a couple of times, still with no movement. I walked over to the rock, reached down and picked up a stick with my fly attached. How'd he do that? Sneakiest fish I ever saw.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 05-31-2010, 09:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

were you driving a mini van? The only car I saw all morning in the middle prong was a grey or silver mini van... We had the whole stream to our selves! Sorry to hear about the rod...how'd you break it?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:38 PM

I was in a blue XTerra past the second one lane bridge and not far below the parking lot at the end. Broke the rod sliding on mountain driftwood. Slippery stuff.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 05-31-2010, 10:55 PM

fished metcalf in the morning into late noon,had similar results as you but had a couple on a cahill pattern. I was surprised at the lack of company. Only had the rubber hatch for company. All in all it was a great morning.
Lynn
Old 05-31-2010, 11:33 PM

Fished above the loop the loop on newfound gap road for an hour and half this evening, it fished real hard. Missed about 6 and brought two little rainbows to hand. Yellow Sallies went abundant, I was fishing a yellow EHC with a copper john dropper. I fished this last week end and had several more strikes. Figured all the other streams would have too many fly fishers. Just goes to show you never Know.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:41 PM

as for the stuck fish--that's what my dad calls instant evolution...