Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Why We Fly Fish

Old 06-10-2010, 08:50 PM

Default Priorities Straight

Wow, guys, sometimes in the blink of an eye, something happens to set your priorities straight.

Yesterday morning, my son, Daniel (some of you guys have met him, others have only seen his pictures and read stories about him) woke up at 7:30am to go off to soccer capm. He's a sophomore and the high school team's coach is working with a children's soccer program where our high school kids are teaching the elementary school kids the fundamentals of the game.

Well, Daniel said his stomach hurt and he didn't want to go. Well, that had us concerned. Daniel not wanting to play soccer is like me not wanting to go fishing.

An hour or so later, he was in extreme pain so we took him to the doctor. The doctor sent us straight to the emergency room. A couple hours later, Daniel was in surgery having his appendix removed.

Fortunately, we got him to the doctor quickly and his doctor had the insight to know what was wrong. The ER doctor recgonized what was going on and scheduled emergency surgery. Because of the quick action by all of the medical staff involved and the grace of God, he was in surgery in time that it had not ruptured or perforated.

The surgery was successful and he is now laying on the couch asleep and recovering. The doctors seem to think the toughest part of the next few weeks will be keeping him rested so he doesn't push himself too hard. Daniel is young, healthy, an athlete and, overall, in prime physical condition for a 15 year old boy. In a day or two when he's feeling better, keeping him down is going to be our biggest struggle.

Considering how serious this could have been, I welcome that problem.

As those of you all who have read my fishing reports or have met him in person, Daniel is my number 1 fishing partner. At 15, he's already a better man than I will ever be.

It is my joy to report that he's going to be fine (assuming we are successful in keeping him from pushing himself too fast and too hard).

But it sure did scare Leslie and me and reminded me how fast all of our priorities can change. That morning, I was preparing for a business meeting, talking with the other Deacons in my church about an upcoming church conference meeting, and trying to figure out why a project at work was a couple days behind. All of that stuff went to the back burner in an instant. The project will go on without me, the business meeting went just fine even though I wasn't there to lead it. The stuff at church will take care of itself. My boy needed me and there was nothing that was going to keep me from being at his side.

Guys, give your kids and loved ones a hug and tell them you love them.

Jeff
Old 06-10-2010, 08:59 PM

Glad Daniel is ok Jeff you are blessed. I have a son Jack who is 5 and not old enough really to fish with me yet but I can't wait for that. Even if he don't like fishing he is still me boy and I will love him always so I know how you must have felt. Prayers up for Daniel's quick recovery.

- Adam

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 06-10-2010, 09:20 PM

Jeff - I hope he has a speedy recovery and will keep in my prayers.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 06-10-2010, 11:03 PM

Thanks guys. It was a scare but he's going to be fine (most likely with a good story to tell the girls). A good reminder to give your kids and loved ones a hug and let them know you love them.

Jeff
Old 06-15-2010, 10:34 PM

Wow, to be 15 again. Less than a week after surgery, Daniel is wanting to play soccer. He can't for another 3 weeks and it's driving him crazy. He's not sore and the incisions are almost completely healed. These kids heal crazy fast. I know I'd still be laying around the house sore and stiff.

Jeff
Old 06-15-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
Wow, to be 15 again. Less than a week after surgery, Daniel is wanting to play soccer. He can't for another 3 weeks and it's driving him crazy. He's not sore and the incisions are almost completely healed. These kids heal crazy fast. I know I'd still be laying around the house sore and stiff.

Jeff
If he only knew how good he had it. Glad to hear that he is doing well.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 06-16-2010, 08:54 AM

Default Priorities

That shows how things can happen in milliseconds. Jeffnles1, glad your son is doing OK.
Crockett, 5 years old is not too young to start fishing. recently, my wife and I took our 4 year old to a pond loaded with bluegill. He had a blast! Now, he wants to take his older brother. Bluegill are a good way to get them started as it is non-stop action. If you don't have any activity, they get bored and lose interest.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:33 PM

Jeff,

Just now read this. Wow, close call! My son, Andy, and I had a great fishing outing this week and it's great to be able to share that kind of thing with your son.

All my best to Daniel for a speedy recovery.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 07-08-2010, 11:44 PM

Default Best Wishes

Hope everything goes well and a quick recovery. That is scary having something like that sneak up on you. Glad you guys cought it in time.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:41 PM

Guys, thanks.
He's fully recovered now and already back to tennis and soccer (like I said, kids heal fast).

I really appreciate the concerns, prayers and thoughts.

Some of you all have met Daniel. He's a good kid and yes, it was very scary. There are some things Dad just can't fix and in those times all we can do is trust in the Lord and the doctors. In this case, they both pulled through for him.

Jeff