Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-05-2010, 12:06 AM

Default floating the clinch

with the caney fishing poorly this year we have spent more days on the clinch ...we have put in at peach orchard and just fished to the first set of shoals...... we would like to go down river but not as far as the church..... where is this cold water farms i have seen posted... is it a private ramp.... if so how would i go about getting prmission to put in or take out there....if this is somthng you local clinch guys don't want to post feel free to send me an email.... fishingman62@hotmail.com.....thaxs in advance for any help
dan
Old 06-05-2010, 06:10 AM

Nope, No ramp at Coldwater.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:46 AM

There is no take out other then 61 bridge. I don't know what you are floating in, but if it is a drift boat then I would not suffer the beating right now floating below the shoals with the water off. They are turning the water off at 6pm every night and by the next day the water is ultra low, fish amazingly spooky, and a drift boat will take a pounding.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
... I don't know what you are floating in, but if it is a drift boat then I would not suffer the beating right now floating below the shoals with the water off. They are turning the water off at 6pm every night and by the next day the water is ultra low, fish amazingly spooky, and a drift boat will take a pounding.
Agreed! If you can get in ahead of a morning pulse; you can float it pretty comfortable. Look in to drifting from the Miller's Island Ramp to Peach Orchard if you with a pulse or on the back end...Otherwise; this is just as bad for shallow water on the upper end.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-05-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Agreed! If you can get in ahead of a morning pulse; you can float it pretty comfortable. Look in to drifting from the Miller's Island Ramp to Peach Orchard if you with a pulse or on the back end...Otherwise; this is just as bad for shallow water on the upper end.
Maybe a little worse, especially if you add the crowds to weed through at Millers, and the nasty fish trap nightmares.

I used to take my boat down the clinch with it off, and sometimes still do, but it is vicious. Just peach orchard shoals alone takes hunks of glass out at every chance it gets. However, once you get below PO it is pretty easy going until Coldwater, then it gets nasty again. The fishing can make up for the beating.

AS madison said, the float from Millers to PO, is a good safe bet, especially if you jump in about an hour after they shut the water off, it will dropped out pretty good, but still enough to get down the river without many hits.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:51 AM

Floating the clinch has sure taken it's toll on the bottom of my boat. The shoals below peach are rough as the other guys have mentioned, but not as bad as cold water, I hope my boat holds up for the next two days, maybe i can get lucky and ride a wave down.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:19 AM

My little boat does very well in the lowest of the low on the river. Unless I am going upstream at the church.

I launch it at Miller's Island all the time in about 2-3 inches of water and take off with no problem. Now, I would not head down stream in that situation; otherwise, I may take out a few fisherman on the way...

Johnson Shoals below Peach Orchard is notorious for boat crashes. I have probably found about 30-40 fishing spinners, one spare reel, and numerous boat parts. It gives me trouble when the water is completely down and I have three people in my boat + plus, another boat is camped out in the middle. If they do not let me come through; I have to go around the side and I have to usually get out and walk the boat through the shoals.

The large shoal at cwf never gives me a problem. I have never hit; I always hit the right-side seam about 15' from the bank. Never go down the middle....
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-06-2010, 04:51 PM

thaxs guys appreciate the info sounds like it would pretty rough on low water in bills drift boat...but sounds like i could use my canoe....just brought back a trolling motor from up home for easier trip back up river ....how far down from johnson schoals is cold water farm.... may have to try it wed
dan
Old 06-06-2010, 10:56 PM

Spent my whole life on the Clinch and never heard Peach Orchard Shoals called Johnson shoals. It must be a local thing along with the green stoneflies.

I would pay money to see a boat with a person other then a kayak move through 2-3 inches of water, and I am not sure a kayak could do it. Anyone want to wager $100 on the challenge....
Old 06-06-2010, 11:45 PM

I have rowed my boat all up and down the river, never had a problems below peach orchard, how ever around cold water I have.