Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-16-2011, 10:24 AM

Default Winter Preparations

I fly fish the South Holston a little. This winter I would like to go up about once a week, but fly tying time is limited so I want to prepare now. Is the winter still sulfur hatches? What flies adn size do I need to go ahead and prepare for the coming winter months. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:39 AM

Winter on the SoHo will mostly be BWO, midges, and blackflies. Stripper Midges from #22 down to as small as you can tie. CDC BWOs from #18 to #26 and of course patterns like Zebra Midges, etc. I'm sure others can add a lot more but these should be a good start.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://troutzoneanglers.com
http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com

Old 10-16-2011, 01:20 PM

I was afraid of that, the small stuff is difficult, but I guess I will get better with practice.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:00 PM

If you have tough times with the small flies tie the small midge to the bend of a larger fly and watch your line for movement. The key is to get the small fly to the depth where they are feeding at the particular time you are fishing.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:42 AM

Thanks Hans, I had never considered this, I am still an amateur fly fisherman. Went yesterday and caught a couple. I missed about 9 using a sulfur, they went after it, but never took the fly.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:42 AM

Default winter on the So.Ho.

I fish it all year, Knapp is correct, small bugs, midges including pupa are good and dropping them behind a #18 b.w.o. will work I did it yesterday. Black flies can also be tied behind a b.w.o.
Drift will be more critical, try using 7X tippet and long 12 feet plus leaders. I like the winter especially when it is snowing. The sulfurs may continue, they did last year into December and latter but the fish don't seem to key onto them. It is a midge situation.
South Holston fly shop, Rod Champion and Matthew McGuinn are great. I'm there almost every weekend. Maybe I'll see you there.
b.t.w.
sometimes we're all beginners, trust me the So.Ho. can humble the best of em.
c.v.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:59 PM

A buddy and I fished it yesterday also, midges in the am and yellow soft hackles for the sulphurs in the pm. If they go after it but you think they are missing, experience tells me that it's more likely refusals. Drop down in size or change color. Yesterday for the sulphurs we used partridge and yellow soft hackles instead of the dun.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:56 AM

Thanks for all the replies, my eyes prefer the larger flies, but I will just have to learn this. I appreciate all the help.