Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-16-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Looks like a lace wing. I do not think they are an aquatic insect. However, I could easily see them ending up on the river. They are pretty common this time of year, and will be around until the first hard freeze.

I have never seen one on the river, but that means nothing as my river days are usually over by the end of September.
Thanks for the reply. I was trying to research/refer back to this topic and to clarify my original post. I think this is the bug I was finding on the river. So; it may not be stone-fly as I originally thought two-years ago when I did not have a camera. I tried using all the online identification tools to figure it out; but, I am still stumped. I see them in yellow and in green on the river. Also; I have been finding a few October Caddis Adults in the evenings while walking along the river.

Another odd find for me has been some blood-type worms/midges on the lower end. I seined one two-weeks ago but, did not have any containers to save it in.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 10-16-2011, 10:21 PM

Shawn,

I killed a ton of those green flies last night out on the farm, which happens to be miles from the closest coldwater source. I was intrigued by them, but glad to see that somebody else has been seeing them.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 10-17-2011, 01:44 AM

MB & CA
I think the green and yellow insects you are seeing go by the common names "Green Lacewings" or "Snowy Tree Crickets". They are primarily green and yellow and about the same size as yellow stone flies. Do a google search for those insects and look as some of the photos.

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ec...n_lacewing.htm

Chem Angler if the wings are laying one on top of the other on those yellow insects you are seeing they are most likely Snowy Tree Crickets.

Last edited by flyman; 10-17-2011 at 01:48 AM.. Reason: 42
Old 10-18-2011, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the input Waterwolf and Flyman. I believe you fellas have helped me identify this bug. I will try and look at it closer to make sure it is not some new species and to just help me learn more about bugs.

I saw a couple big-green cicadas on the water yesterday. I have never tied a pattern to fish with them. But, I am sure there were a few fish that gorged on them.

Due to the lake turnover; I believe the released water is more oxygen rich and I am seeing some excellent midge/bug hatches. Additionally; the fall flora along the banks is attracting some great variety of bugs.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Tags
pattern, tying