Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-06-2010, 11:04 AM

Default Weekend Fishing

So where's everyone been fishing this weekend? I haven't made it up to the park since Troutfest and want to hear some good fishing stories... Pictures are even better...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 06-06-2010, 11:11 AM

I fished the down-flow on the Clinch last night from 6:30-9:30. The fish starting rising very hard around 8:30. They were hitting some of my ridiculous bug patterns that I wanted to try....However; they did not like my new streamer...

No pics...no camera at the moment...cellphone is blah in the fog...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-06-2010, 12:15 PM

Hey David I hiked in to cs 18 yesterday (Saturday) afternoon. When I got to camp there were 2 other guys camped there one og the guys named Collin I think had a LRO hat and they were fishing the stream right in front of the camp. It started raining pretty hard but I went upstream and caught lots of fish a few on neversink and most on the BHPT dropper. I fished up to where lower chestnut branch comes in from the left. About that time my flies got tangled up around the leader which was my sign to cut them reel in the line and turn back. Unfortunately on my way back since I didn't have the line thu the guides I lost my TFO rod tip in the rhodo. Interestingly I had just seen the tip on the rod was on there when I went under a big tree and 50 feet later I noticed it was gone. So I spent a long time walking that 50 ft. stretch over and over but just couldn't find it. It was pretty much swallowed up by the rhodo or something and somehow I couldn't see it.

When I got back to camp I fashioned an improvised tip and caught 4 more near camp on a rainbow prince. Turns out there was only the 3 of us in the camp that night. I have never seen cs 18 pretty much empty on a Saturday night which was pretty weird. If it hadn't been for those other two fellows fishing together I would have been alone there. I slept in my hammock last night no bug netting and kept waking up with daddy long legs and stuff crawling on my face but it was still fun. Got to get a bug net though I think. It rained 3 different times and the water level of the west prong on Saturday after the first rain was up a bit and stained but dropped quickly. Stopped at LRO this morning and they sent my rod back for a "repair" aka new tip. Now that was good service...

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...

Last edited by Crockett; 06-06-2010 at 02:14 PM..
Old 06-06-2010, 01:57 PM

Going to fish a local lake later today. Headed down to GSMNP this coming weekend.

Crockett, TFO's warranty service is good. I broke the tip on one of my rods and had it back in hand exactly a week after I mailed it to them.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:41 PM

park fishing is good right now fished on the way to cades cove yesterday and we cought 15 to 20 in about 3 hours.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
So where's everyone been fishing this weekend? I haven't made it up to the park since Troutfest and want to hear some good fishing stories... Pictures are even better...
Didn't make it out this weekend but I should be able to post a nice report on Wednesday.

If your ever free during the week and need a fishing partner shoot me an email.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 06-06-2010, 06:29 PM

Took Friday off and started mine out early.......spent the day with Chuck from LRO for some much needed personal lessons. Chuck is a great guy and a fine teacher, he showed me a ton of things that would have taken me forever to learn on my own. Had a great time and even got to catch this little fellar.....

Picked up a few more flies and such at LRO and headed back toward Gatlinburg, but I had to stop and try out all the new goodies. Ended up fishing till dark, only brought 3 to hand but had several more strikes. Had a nice brown, maybe 10", knock the heck out of my dry. Saw a lot of stone and mayflies too, darn things seemed to be every where. On my way out I saw Ray Ball and a buddy walking back, you can bet Ray caught some fish.

Fished Sat. morning and this morning with all caught being bows. All were caught on the dropper, used both red copper john's and BHPTs. Didn't catch a lot, but had fun. Here's one of Sat.'s bows..............

Found this guy on a rock two feet out in the river this morning, right after daylight..........
................ he was yellow as he could be, the camera's flash makes him look darker though. I always thought they didn't like cold water, guess I was wrong! Anyways, keep an eye out on Little River if ya go.

Side note...... if you are just starting out in this sport and don't have a mentor or someone to help you, I highly advise the personal instructions that LRO offers. It's well worth it!!!
Old 06-06-2010, 06:58 PM

I fished some non GSMNP waters Saturday.

A buddy of mine and I went in search of some "native" trout yesterday. *We found them but they did not seem too cooperative. *I did manage to catch one little rainbow from the trail bridge while I was waiting on my buddy to finish rigging up.

Fishing was slow. *We saw fish and we had a lot of strikes but just could not seem to catch any. *After a while, we decided to head on up a bit to a little stream known to be home to native char. *Not a lot of luck there either. *I think we landed 8-10 between the two of us. *We did see a few in excess of 8 inches, which is a very respectful wild brook.

It was a good day to be out. *The weather was nice and being at 5000 or so feet was appreciated after it got hot down at the lower elevations.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:32 PM

Caught this guy and several small bluegill and pumpkinseeds today. All on a yellow and black popper.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:04 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

David you need a mentor don't you?