Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 05-27-2010, 06:23 PM

Default Brookville indiana report??????

Thinking of heading to Brookville tailwaters this weekend and I was wondering if anyone had a recent report from there. Last week they stocked browns and last month rainbows so if nothing else I expect some stockers but would like to think there are some holdovers left.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:35 PM

The Central Indiana TU chapter has a forum on their website. You might check there. Water might be high with the recent rains.

I haven't been there yet. All the bickering over the tailwater is keeping me away.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:46 PM

I would imagine there are still some stockers there but I wouldn't count on any hold overs.

Between dam repairs last summer which resulted in very low flows and very warm water and the bickering between the town fishermen and Central Indiana TU over how to manage the water, the normal level of poaching hit fever pitch about the time the dam repairs were going on.

Last fall, there wasn't a trout to be seen anywhere.

I'm sure there were a few that were not killed but nothing like it used to be.

Really sad situation last summer. Horrible reactions from both sides of the frence which resulted in threats and rumors of some cars being keyed, rocks thrown in the river while people were fishing, and 5 gallon buckets full of trout caught and kept illegally with people basically daring anyone to call and report them.

I hope it's settled down, I haven't heard anything recently, but I know I don't need that stuff in my life. I haven't been there since last fall. I'll probably go up this summer and check it out and see if things have cooled off.

Jeff
Old 05-28-2010, 07:57 AM

ahiglan-I already checked their forum. Needless to say not nearly as good as this one. Alot of talk about stocking info and not about the fishing.
Jeffnles1-I checked the water and it looks great. Right now its at 3.5 feet and dropping some. I'll make sure to report on whether or not i catch any holdovers or if its even worth going.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:00 AM

Fished it late February before I moved from Ft Knox out here to Ft Carson. Pretty much like jeffnles1 said, very few fish. Granted I fished it on an extremely cold day but fisheed an hones10 hours with two 15-18 inch football browns to show for it.

Have a Good 'Urn,
bones
Old 05-28-2010, 08:28 AM

Yeah, their forum isn't really all that great. Reading all the fighting last year has left a sour taste in my mouth that has kept me from making the trip. Everyone seems to have cooled down a bit over the winter.

Let us know how it goes. I'm sure it will be fine.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wt View Post
ahiglan-I already checked their forum. Needless to say not nearly as good as this one. Alot of talk about stocking info and not about the fishing.
Jeffnles1-I checked the water and it looks great. Right now its at 3.5 feet and dropping some. I'll make sure to report on whether or not i catch any holdovers or if its even worth going.
3wt, I'd be very interested in your report. I used to get up there about twice a month from March through November (Dec, Jan, Feb once in a while on nice days, but I'm not a big fan of freezing to death fishing).

Last summer with all the junk going on, I just decided it wasn't worth it.

As Ahiglan said, I think things have cooled off and I may head up there in June. Just need to decide if it's worth getting a full year IN license or not.

Jeff
Old 05-30-2010, 10:49 AM

Went to brookville yesterday. Arrived around 9:30 caught two small browns and one decent rainbow before lunch. After lunch things started slow with only two small trout coming before four o'clock. The wierd thing was that all the trout i caught up to this point had all come on a different fly. Then later in the evening I don't know what happened but they trout turned on and the fishing got red hot. Using a pink san juan worm I must have landed ten trout and lost five fish all in the last hour or so. And I did manage to find some holdovers. Out of the last ten or so, six were over thirteen inches. One rainbow went eighteen, and two browns went sixteen. Needless to say I had a great day! Even though the water was at four feet, I could still wade easily and the water was very clear.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:08 PM

Sounds great, guess I need to make the trip over there.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:22 PM

Guess I'll be heading up this summer then!

Thanks for the update.

Jeff