Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-26-2010, 01:56 AM

Default big brown's location

one good thing about the beast's spot is that it's nestled right in between whitewater. i somewhat prefer not having to be as careful as if i wer stalking one in slower water though i do still creep above it on my knees. excellent advice on snagging lunkers from all. i hope to have pics up soon (it will assuredly be measured and promptly released). i've been trying to find somewhat mobile streamers, some that give plenty of action when bounced around and through rapids. i think the beast has figured out wooly buggers are not food. any suggestions?
Old 06-26-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
any suggestions?
Just give me detailed directions to where this fish lives, and I'll let you know what flavor it likes...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 06-26-2010, 11:40 AM

I've caught most of my big fish in July and August. Maybe its because the water is low and spotting the fish is easier. Remember that means he sees you alot better too. It is more of a hunting game which I like most of all. Look before you fish, thats my advice.
Lynn
Old 06-27-2010, 11:20 PM

Wink Are you who I think you are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampus View Post
Knucklehead;

The best advice I can give regarding landing big browns is as follows:

1. Fish where they are (sounds like you've already gotten this one)
2. Study them and the area. Before approaching the pool, study the pool for a minimum of 15 minutes. If you can see it, your chances go way up. Look at best direction to approach, best place to cast. Put the sun at your back but not cast a shadow on the water. Consider if you hook it, what obstructions you need to avoid and where YOU want to take the fish.
3. Approach slowly and use max stealth from behind the fish. Be wary of spooking other fish in the pool which will also give you away.
4. Use what works. Fly choice is important (dries won't cut it). I recommend heavy nymphs or streamers.
5. Don't use indicators or bright fly line. I recommend no smaller than 4X (personal preference). If water is dingy or off color, go to 3 X. If the brown is big, you'll need it.
6. If you see a refusal, change fly after resting the pool. Give it time to get settled all the while watching. If you have a buddy that can watch from a higher angle, it will help.
7. If you set the hook, take the fight to it. My earliest hook-ups were lost in playing defensively or countering the fish's moves.

Remember, big fish don't get that way by getting caught or eating flies.

Good Luck,
Grampus
Don't want to sell you out if you want to remain anonymous, but just curious if I have fished with you before? If I'm right I hope you catch your "latest stalking" and let me know if I can tag along sometime
Old 06-29-2010, 01:11 AM

Default welcome anytime

I don't believe we have fished (if you're referring to me). most of my fishing trips in the park are solo but i'm always open to venturing with a new face. most of my trips are fairly last minute, at least recently, due to an increase in work. my email is sharpize@yahoo.com. shoot me a line if you ever want to go.

steven pitts
Old 06-29-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
think the beast has figured out wooly buggers are not food. any suggestions?
Have you tried highsticking a large yellow brooks stone? or yellarhammer? May take few good attemps, but if you have whitewater cover you might can buy a few more presentations than normal...Id also tether the fly to some fluro, if nothing else for some abrasion resistance if that beast is near whitewater= rocky cover...

My big brown outfit for the park is basically my smallie gear, somewhat overkill, though i seem to tag into bigger browns not looking for them on my 4wt and 6x...we usually end up parting ways, but at least I know where they'll be next time
Old 07-01-2010, 05:44 PM

Smile Sorry I was referring to Grampus

Quote:
I don't believe we have fished (if you're referring to me). most of my fishing trips in the park are solo but i'm always open to venturing with a new face. most of my trips are fairly last minute, at least recently, due to an increase in work. my email is sharpize@yahoo.com. shoot me a line if you ever want to go.

steven pitts
Although I'm always looking for more people to fish with. Already fish most Wednesday will another fellow I met on this board. While with twin babies and work I am staying pretty busy, but can fish on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

I think we should ask Byron to add to hook up board to this message board so that poeple can meet up. I would love to give back since I'm finally catching good numbers of fish thanks to others that have been kind enough to show me and share. I also have many last minute fishing trips and that is a good way to go to places you wouldn't want to venture by yourself
Old 07-02-2010, 07:48 AM

Yeah a board to meet others for fishing sounds like a great idea. I have fished with a couple of others on here and really had a good time. Even met up with Spotlight over at bryson place for an overnight fishing trip and he turned out to be a great guy lots of fun.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...