Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 06-11-2010, 12:41 PM

Default Little Pigeon Questions

Hi Everyone,

Well I have come down with a pretty bad case of Smallmouth fever! I went for the first time about a month ago and have been twice since with moderate luck. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about floating the Little Pigeon in Sevierville. I have a kayak so skinny water is not really a problem.I just do not know if it is even feasible. I would also appreciate any information about fishing the LP in general.

Mark
Old 06-11-2010, 10:45 PM

You could put in at the bridge which crosses the east fork, which is just outside sevierville heading towards newport. I do not know the hwy number, but it will be the first bridge you cross. You could take out down at Boyds creek, the fair grounds or many other places.

The fishing is pretty good on that stretch, and I have had good luck with poppers and any streamers that are white and tied with rabbit strips (zonkers, zuddlers, etc).

Hope that gets you a good start and good luck.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:51 PM

Hey Waterwolf, Thanks, that helps a whole lot. Hope to be able to make the float next weekend.

Mark
Old 06-12-2010, 10:26 PM

Keep an eye on these thunderstorms during the week, that place can get blown out fast, and best I can recall the best flows are between 200-500 cfs which you can find at the USGS water info site or on the TVA site. I could be a little off on my flows, so just keep an eye on the radars this week, and if it gets pounded by a storm or two keep that in mind before heading up there.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:14 PM

is there any public boat ramps up there to put in and take out at? And would you be able to float it in a drift boat?

I'm interrested in this whole small mouth hype....
Old 06-16-2010, 03:40 PM

There are no ramps that I know of. I've seen some guys floating in a drift boat before, but that was during the spring with higher water. You could certainly scrape along with a drift boat!
Old 06-16-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
is there any public boat ramps up there to put in and take out at? And would you be able to float it in a drift boat?

I'm interrested in this whole small mouth hype....
You're not mature enough to handle the smallmouth

I don't know of any official boats ramps, You could probably find a place or two to slide it in and drag it back out. But I can't think of any right off hand.

Couple of places you might look at for your baptism, Pigeon River from the Newport Jail to Rankin Bridge on the French Broad. French Broad around Del Rio, and Little River below Townsend down to River jack's.

A word of caution, smallmouth rivers are a much different beast then the Clinch, the Pigeon even as docile as it is for a smallmouth river has some serious boat eaters in it, and the same can be said for Little River. The French Broad is a big b*tch and if the water gets up it can be quite a ride, with lots of little drops, technical chutes, and rocks which hide in all the wrong places. Scraping and taking boat damage is normal and to be expected, it is the devastating stuff I am referring to.

The little pigeon is tame. Point being, floating the Clinch below norris and locking horns with some of the smallmouth rivers is completely different. Much more challenging rapids, and rocks which put holes in drift boats or sink/flip them. Luckily I have access to several soft boats which is all I use on the smallmouth rivers.

You have my e-mail address rod, and if you want more info feel free to let me know, I have spent a world of time on this areas smallmouth rivers, and might be able to help you out.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:26 AM

Talking

You have my e-mail address rod, and if you want more info feel free to let me know, I have spent a world of time on this areas smallmouth rivers, and might be able to help you out.[/QUOTE]

Thanks dude! i don't have your e-mail address, if you don't want to post it fine. Shoot me one at clinchriverflyfishing@gmail.com

I want in on some of the action.... I'm a big boy!!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:14 AM

There are no public boat ramps on the river. the floatable section is only about two miles of river along hwy 66 before it empties into the FB. I have floated it in a raft and countless times in kayaks, toons and my canoe. early spring is much better for floating on higher water. I have paddled back upstream to the boat ramp on Hwy 66 on the FB after floating the LP. If the FB is generating forget about that. The river is shallow and a drift boat is not the best craft for manuvering through the channels and low dams on the river. The LP is fished heavily by bait fishermen also in the spring thanks in part to a TV show aired a few years ago showing people to drift minnows over the spawning beds. You would not believe how many dead smallmouth I've found with their gills ripped out by some person trying to get their 10 cent hook back after a smallie swallowed the live bait. I guess those idiots have never heard of circle hooks. Once the spawn is over, the bigger smallies migrate back into the FB and the fishing pressure decreases.

The FB and the Holston (lower) is much better suited to fishing from a drifter.

I would recommend floating the Holston from Indian cave to nances ferry later in the summer when the water temps are higher or from Douglas dam to Hwy 66 bridge on the FB. All the other ramps on the FB are on private property.

LIke WW, I've spent a lot of time on the smallmouth rivers. I've gotten to the point in my fly fishing life that fishing a tailwater for stocked trout is not all that interesting to me anymore. I also like the chance to fish for so many different fish in one day. smallies, LM , bream, carp, gar, shad, and .... stripers.

Its funny now there is all of the sudden this interest in fishing for smallies. Just a year ago hardly anyone around here cared about them. I guess Byron's latest fishing reports from the area lakes are changing that.
Just remember that trout and smallies are much different as are fishing rivers compared to lakes.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:27 AM

gary,

There are several other TWRA ramps on the French Broad, one around Seven islands and one more that is mid riverish as well, along with the ramp at the junction with the Holston. TWRA has a cool interactive map with their locations on it, and it even has pictures of those ramps. I have never floated down from the dam, threatened to but never done it, maybe I will try it in the next few weeks. I know the carp action can be stellar in that section.

Indian Cave on the Holston is in rough shape, and 4wheel drive is a must, plus good ground clearance. If it rains while you are out or before you go, getting a truck back up the ramp is interesting but doable.

I agree with you on the interest in Smallmouth, it wasn't long ago they were viewed by most as trash fish and no one paid them any attention in the fly fishing community. It still is so much different and so much more challenging on all levels that I doubt that most will switch like you and I have to focusing on them most of the time. I will say that seeing someone with a stringer of smallies bothers me much more then someone with a stringer of trout and what you have seen on the LP is depressing.

Carp were viewed the same way, I can remember Seagull, Flatflyn' and myself being ridiculed for our love of the carp. That has certainly changed.