Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-11-2010, 01:18 PM

Default topo maps of the smokies

Hello everyone, its been a while since I have visited this website, about nine months I think. At the time I remember someone posting information about updated topo maps of the smokies. I will be camping at smokemont mid July. Would the uppers parts of raven fork be too ambitious for a couple of novice fishermen. Thanks ahead of time for any info!
Old 06-11-2010, 01:20 PM

It was probably JoeFred...

Check: www.smokystreams.com
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-11-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid gloves View Post
Would the uppers parts of raven fork be too ambitious for a couple of novice fishermen. Thanks ahead of time for any info!
You should use the search feature and search for Raven or Three Forks. There has been a plethora of information, history, & trip reports posted over the last few years.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Would the uppers parts of raven fork be too ambitious for a couple of novice fishermen.
That depends, can I have you stuff if you die?
Old 06-11-2010, 03:16 PM

Default re: topo maps of the smokies

I use a Trails Illustrated topo map of the Smokies that has a 2007 revision date. The map seemed accurate enough for that area when I was there in March 2009. Are there newer maps? Has anything significant changed?

As far as difficulty is concerned, that is fairly subjective and dependent on experience and fitness. You could certainly find easier trails to hike and stretches of water to fish; but I wouldn't fault anyone for wanting to experience the remoteness and rugged beauty of the Raven Fork area. I would not plan a trip there immediately after or during heavy rains.

If you stay at Smokemont and drive to the Hyatt Ridge TH, you'll be very tempted by the Bradley Fork, Oconaluftee and Straight Fork. I'll leave the specific fishing info for those closer and more experienced than I.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:38 PM

Kid Gloves--JOeFred has done some great work on most sections of the Park and at least some of his stuff is now for sale.
As for upper Raven Fork, the hike in to the campsite at Enloe Creek isn't too terribly difficult, but just remember there's no trail access except that lateral trail which simply descends from Hyatt Ridge to Raven Fork, crosses, and continues along Enloe Creek towards Bradley For, It's the most remote area of the Park and one of the more rugged, expecially the gorge downstream. Much would depend on your age and level of fitness, but basically if you venture there you have an adventure in front of you. The fishing is first-rate, but there are other places which are infinitely more accessible and quite attractive from the standpoint of the quality of fishing.
To borrow from a country song, "I ain't as good as I once was" (physically) and I'm pretty much with flyman on this one. It's a place for the young, fit, and slightly wild, and if you are on the north side of 40, unless you are very fit, don't do it.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 06-11-2010, 09:21 PM

All joking aside, listen to Jim. Off trail hiking in this part of the park, or almost any part of the park entails crawling over, under, through all kinds of obstacles and terrain. Boulders the size of a small houses, blow downs, logs, rhododendron hells, and dog hobble thick enough to choke a goat. Off trail is OK if you are following old man ways, road beds, or old rail road grades, but when it comes to this type of terrain it is a different story. I honestly think particularly being a new fisherman you would expend so much energy getting to and from this area that it would detract from your fishing experience. You can find plenty of places with good trails to get away from the majority of the people who visit the park. I would concentrate on fishing, and leave the lost world jungle exploration for another trip.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:02 AM

Older, but authentic, topo maps available here:

http://www.dlia.org/atbi/science/par...ndex_24k.shtml
Old 06-13-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
... I remember someone posting information about updated topo maps of the smokies...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
It was probably JoeFred...
Thanks, Shawn.
kidgloves, although there are more up to date digital topo maps of the region "out there" they are priced for the Google's and National Geograhics of the world.. The free-for-download PDFs and TIFFs of the U. S. Geological Survey 7.5 Minute Quadrangle topographic maps are available for the rest of us. These are from scans of hard copeis of the maps that were created/edited/revised no more recently than the 60s for the most part. Therefore, current day boundaries and names of facilities may differ from that shown. Also, some man-made structures have been added that do not appear on the maps. Lastly, certain images that do appear on the maps have, in reality, partially or completely disappeared from view with the passing of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastprong View Post
Older, but authentic, topo maps available here:
http://www.dlia.org/atbi/science/par...ndex_24k.shtml
eastprong, this is a good source of the PDFs.

TIFs are on the same web site ... http://www.dlia.org/atbi/science/park_quad_maps.shtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
Kid Gloves--JOeFred has done some great work on most sections of the Park and at least some of his stuff is now for sale....
Thanks, Jim. I've temporarily halted selling downloads until they are available with shaded relief versions of the quad maps. Below is a snipit from the front of the Little River map I hope to have printed on waterproof paper within the next few weeks. It shows part of Fish Camp Prong drainage and an illustration of species color coding. (National Park Service Fisheries Management has graciously provided me trout distribution data from their research.)

8/29/2010 Update: Have resumed providing free downloads of the basic versions of maps.

JoeFred

2/15 Update: Deleted map image previously posted.

Last edited by JoeFred; 02-15-2012 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: To help protect the wellbeing of the waters, etc.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:11 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. Good advise. I will most likely stay around smokemont. Condition wise I think I could handle Raven Fork,(famous last words), even though I am just north of fifty Jim, my son,15yrs. old, and I lack the experience and knowledge for such a trip. Maybe someday, God willing!