Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-13-2010, 03:32 PM

Default road prong

fished above the fourth bridge on road prong for the first time. Never caught any brookies to speak of before. Now I understand the passion for those beautiful fish. Fishing couldn't have been any better except I had to wade back downstream after fishing about a half mile of water. Does the trail cross the stream anywhere above the fourth bridge? Was too tired to hike on up the trail when I got out.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:21 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinbruiser View Post
Does the trail cross the stream anywhere above the fourth bridge? Was too tired to hike on up the trail when I got out.
Yes but several hours or fishing up there is a small cut in the rhodo about 25 yards below skyline falls that takes you up to the trail. While you won't find the Rainbows that a just a ways downstream, there are a few 9+ inch Brookies that you can occasionally hook (most times they are too smart for me)

Where I am standing in this shot manway is directly right. Look close, you could easily miss it

Old 06-14-2010, 12:02 AM

thanks for the info. i intend to scout the trail before I fish that section again and look for the access you're talking about.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:05 AM

Well how about that, I sure missed it. I was right there a couple of weeks ago and went all the way back down the river to the 4th bridge! Oh well, I needed the exercise for sure, pounds have really accumulated the last few years. That's a pretty rough hike for sure, especially with all the blow downs and slick rocks, my felt soles slipped a few times.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:49 AM

http://www.smokystreams.com/maps/***...igeonriver.pdf

Is Skyline Falls number 07 or 08 on this map? I feel like I went all the way up to 08 but never felt like I was as close to the trail as this map shows.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:39 PM

Default I'm pretty sure it's 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinbruiser View Post
http://www.smokystreams.com/maps/***...igeonriver.pdf

Is Skyline Falls number 07 or 08 on this map? I feel like I went all the way up to 08 but never felt like I was as close to the trail as this map shows.
But that map only shows 2 waterfalls where I know of at least 7

That's one stream where the rhodo dictates you stay in the streambed, crawling out without a path isn't much of an option in many places. Although on my last time fishing between 3rd & 4th bridges I found a small path I had never seen before. Nice to know they are there as I have spent time in the streambed hiking up in a thunderstorm and it wasn't all that much fun
Old 06-15-2010, 09:25 AM

Thanks duckypaddler - I agree - its easy to get trapped in that stream. I hate wading back down because it fouls the water for anyone below me. I have done a little more research (google is a wonderful thing) and actually found where there is a 5th small foot bridge about a mile and a half above the fourth bridge. That's a long way to fish in that stream but I'm sure it would be rewarding.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:06 PM

Just curious when you guys refer to the 4th bridge is that the one just before you get to where the chimneys trail splits off? I remember that one being a "real" bridge and I think I counted it as the fourth. Then I went up the road prong trail and in about a mile (maybe less) I found the first actual "foot bridge" that crosses road prong from the right to the left bank.

I think what is confusing is there are two bridges right at the start of the trail almost back to back. I guess that is # 1 and 2 haha.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 06-15-2010, 01:10 PM

Crockett,
Yes I am counting the first bridge that actually goes over Walker Camp Prong as bridge #1 and then the immediate next bridge over Road Prong as #2.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:35 PM

ok cool I thought so just wasn't sure. I fished up there last november and didn't catch anything but it was freezing cold and I didn't know what I was doing a bad combination

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...