Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 06-15-2010, 12:27 AM

Default VA - Shenandoah Area (Harrisonburg)

I'm going to be staying with my family at Massanutten and plan to make it out for a few days to do some fishing. Any suggestions for wadable streams in or near the Shenandoah National Park or Rapidan Wildlife Management Area? I'd like to hit up the Rapidan at least once, but other than that, I'm open to suggestions...and I love to fish for brookies. I've looked some stuff up on the net, but it's always good to hear from people who've been fishing it recently. Also any other advice on flies, etc. would be appreciated...
Old 06-15-2010, 09:52 AM

That is small mouth country too, or skip into West Va on I-33 from there and fish the east side of the George Washington Natl Forest, I saw a bunch of people fishing on my way up there and the water looks nice, kinda smokies like

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 06-15-2010, 01:40 PM

Fish the big pond @ Massanuttin it has alot of fish in it. One evening I caught carp, crappie,bluegill,bass,and trout. Go into Edinburg and visit Harry McMurrey @ his shop, He'll give you the heads up on the brookies.
Lynn
Old 06-15-2010, 07:02 PM

Conway river in Rapidan WMA browns and brookies and schwitzers run in GW Forest off of 33 once it turns to dirt good for numbers of brookies the further you get from the pull off the better. Stream in whiteoak cayon above the hippie bath tub pool. Jeremy's run to the south of 33 on Skyline drive. Stream (s) on Old Rag Mtn. Any blueline around Hoovers Camp.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:17 AM

Thanks guys,

Are there good spots I should check out to wade for some smallies? The last time I seriously fished for them was on the Susquehanna in PA, and that was before I got into fly fishing...I'd love to get into some if the rivers are safe and wadable.

And how about Dry Run, Elk Run, and Naked Creek? Are those any good?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:19 AM

Theres a covered bridge south of Edinburg great access point and a cool spot. I forget the hwy # but its the road out of Edinburg. If you like History stuff check out the Hall Of Valor off 81.
Lynn
Old 06-16-2010, 01:18 PM

I've been to Massanutten a couple of times. Both times I went up to the Parkway and hiked down to streams. I fished White Oak Canyon (I think that is the name) and Big Run. Lots of brookies. Though I've never been there, I think Mossy Creek is within driving distance. I agree with someone who said something about contacting Harry Murray's fly shop. I sent him an email the first time I went. He was extremely helpful.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:52 PM

I've enjoyed good service from Mossy Creek Fly Fishing in Harrisonburg.
Flies and locations etc
Old 06-16-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynut View Post
I'm going to be staying with my family at Massanutten and plan to make it out for a few days to do some fishing. Any suggestions for wadable streams in or near the Shenandoah National Park or Rapidan Wildlife Management Area? I'd like to hit up the Rapidan at least once, but other than that, I'm open to suggestions...and I love to fish for brookies. I've looked some stuff up on the net, but it's always good to hear from people who've been fishing it recently. Also any other advice on flies, etc. would be appreciated...
If you are in Harrisonburg See Colby and Brian Trow at Mossy Creek Fly shop in HBurg,
http://mossycreekflyfishing.com/main.aspx
or take a 40 minute drive to Edinburg and See Harry Murray at Murrays Fly Shop. (Harry is a friend of ours)
http://www.murraysflyshop.com/
Both will give you excellent info.

Bcflyfisher and Myself live here in Woodstock Va, in the Shendandoah valley, We actually just got back from the smokies today. (will leave a post about that trip in another thread)

Bradley (BC) attends Bridgewater College (and Majors in Flyfishing...Environmental Science) Actually he fishes Mossy Creek alot. You need to get a permit from the Verona Game and Inland Office (its free, mail ahead before you go it is classified as a trophy trout stream and does have some large fish, but it a spring creek and fairly tough to fish, use hoppers, ants, bwo's are some of our favorites, It's no wading

as far as wading streams, Dry River west of Harrisonburg is pretty good had Stocked Brook Trout.
If you go to higher elevations on Dry River you can get into native brook trout. See Brian or Colby at Mossy Creek Fly shop for better description.

If you come to Edinburg and visit Harry Murray, you can drive 5-10 more minutes and Fish Stony Creek. He can tell you about the trout fishing and smallie fishing around the area.
We dont get up to the park much even though its in our backyard, because of school and jobs.

Last edited by lwflyrod; 06-16-2010 at 11:53 PM.. Reason: additional info
Old 06-16-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Hackle View Post
Theres a covered bridge south of Edinburg great access point and a cool spot. I forget the hwy # but its the road out of Edinburg. If you like History stuff check out the Hall Of Valor off 81.
Lynn

It just south of the town of Mt Jackson, Theres a sign for it. Its Route 11 is the main road. The Bridge is Called Meems Bottom Bridge
You and also go and fish below the Boat Ramp at Narrow Passage between Edinburg and Woodstock, Good smallie fishing / access there.