Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 06-15-2010, 12:03 PM

Question Rough fishing?

I have been going out for carp on the fly but I see more buffalo than I do Carp. I try catching the buffalo but can't even get them to look at a fly. I have heard that you can't catch them but I have seen pictures on Mike Anderson web site trophyfishingtn.com so I know it's possible. Any info on rough fishing I will greatly appreciate. I have been using crawdad patterns and a Rainy's Carp-Teaser.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:33 PM

I have had fair success on buffalo with conventional gear while fishing for crappie and bass, all on baitfish imitations. I don't know if this is typical or not, but it would be something different to try since you haven't had any success yet. Maybe a flashy streamer with some marabou, a wooly bugger, or a small clouser perhaps if they won't take nymphs or crawfish flies.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:38 PM

I caught a really big one once with my 3wt and some 7x tiippet (not recommended) on the Holston. I was using a #14 Soft Hackle Bead Head Hare's Ear. Had another one break me off a few minutes later.

(Really, REALLY not recommended for the 3wt.)
Old 06-15-2010, 07:26 PM

bronzeback,

Are you sight fishing to the buffalo?
Old 06-15-2010, 10:25 PM

Buffalo by the book are vegetarians. However, I have had them eat nymphs and also have a buddy who caught one on a caddis dry several years ago. Targeting them is pretty fruitless as it seems they randomly eat a fly, and it may be more happenstance then them truly eating the fly.

Redhorse are the same way except they will eat a fly at times when they are spawning but that is a very limited window.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:58 AM

Go to www.carpanglersgroup.com as they have a thread on this very topic. Depends on what species of buffalo you are after.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:31 AM

To 5wt, I have been sight fishing for them. I'm also pretty sure there smallmouth buffalo. A Big Thanks to everyone's replies.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:39 PM

I have to go to Nashville to work some during the weeks and have been fishing below priest **** a little. I fished there a couple of weeks ago and could not resist trying to hook into some buffalo. I fished a green bead head wooly bugger with alot of flash in it and was able to hook and land 4 in about an hour. I was sight fishing to them and would let the fly drift to them and then let it drop on a rock right beside them. Then just jiggle it a little and often they will go check it out and pick it up. They are hard to hook because they are not really taking it but just picking it up and spitting it out. If you can see them pick it up then set in and hold on. They are a blast to catch and are often plentiful in most rivers. Maybe this will help or give you another reason to go try them again!!!

Thanks,
Brian Martin
Old 06-22-2010, 12:38 AM

Thanks for the info 5wt I'll give that a try the next time I get to go out. I went the other day to try to catch a gar or carp and once again I seen more buffalo than I did anything.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:54 AM

Man, I've been wearing the buffalo out up at Nance's Ferry by fishing weighted olive and/or orange wooly buggers with flash and legs by letting them drift on the bottom. They've been holding on a flat up there for weeks now. You can definitely catch 15 or 20 in a couple of hours if they don't get too spooky. They're kind of a trip on my 4wt. fiberglass rod. Good luck.
-Dylan