Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-15-2010, 01:45 PM

Default Smokemont/ upper Deep Creek

I took a few days off of work and camped at Smokemont hoping to fish a lot in Bradley Fork and Oconaluftee, but every time I got a hundred yards from the truck the lightning and thunder would roll back through. I caught a few rainbows and browns between 7 and 12 inches. I fished a little in Cherokee on Raven Fork several miles above the trophy section and got several rainbows and one fat 17 inch brown. Yesterday(Monday), I went to upper Deep Creek with a co-worker. I don't know how far down we walked, but it took an hour to get to #53, and we walked another hour down from there. I didn't take any fish pics there since I couldn't compete with the one Plateau Angler posted from there just before I went, but we caught a lot of 6-13 inch healthy browns and rainbows along and a ton of brook trout. It was much better than Road Prong for brooks. We hit the trail at 7am and got back in the car at 6pm after running in to a 4ft rattlesnake on a rock in the middle of the creek. Here are a few pics.
Bradley Fork brown

Raven Fork brown

Deep Creek rattler

Old 06-15-2010, 02:15 PM

I guess I will show my lack of understanding but I was surprised to see a picture of a rattle snake that close to the water.

Very nice pictures of the trout. Thanks for sharing.

I sure would have like to been on your Deep Creek Campsite #53 trip. Have not been there myself but is on my list.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:23 PM

I have always heard that about rattlesnakes too. I have lived here my whole life and somehow only seen 2 live rattlesnakes, both of them lying on a rock by a creek.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:05 AM

Thats a good looking snake! And man what a Brown! Glad y'all had a good trip.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:42 PM

That must be the same rattlesnake that someone took a pic of last year hanging in the rhododendrons on Deep Creek. He didn't get to bite any anglers in the neck last year, so he wised up and hoped someone would step on him, or put their hand on the rock while wading ;-)
Old 06-16-2010, 05:21 PM

I saw that post last year and thought of it when we ran in to that thing. Thanks Bran, I would like that fish more if it had come from the park so I was 100% sure it had not been stocked, but I was still happy with it.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:41 PM

tjw37909--Sounds like a good trip, and the upper Deep Creek part of it put you in some of my favorite Park waters. I spent about three hours earlier today on Luftee, right alongside the road in the Tow String area, and caught lots of fish after 45 minutes without so much as a single strike. I've never had a situation quite like that, at least when the water and conditions were fine. But the change, when it came, was quite dramatic. I probably caught 20-25 fish, although none would have reached 10 inches, in a span of roughly and hour and a half. Didn't stay for the time it would really have gotten good (about the time these words are being written), since I needed to get back to Bryson City and get some supper on the table for my 100-year-old father. He gets peckish and peevish if he doesn't get his vittles on time.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 06-16-2010, 10:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

jim, does your dad pour his coffee into the saucer to let it cool? my g/f did before he passed at 96...newman-ford blood runs deep
Old 06-17-2010, 06:41 AM

Sam--Dad dosen't "sasser" his coffee, possibly because he can drink stuff which would scald me, but my paternal grandfather did, and no matter of fussing from Grandma Minnie would change him in that regard (or much else, although he was afraid of her tongue, which could mentally flay you like a whip).
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 06-17-2010, 06:16 PM

tjw..... great pics!

Great looking brown too, stocked or not, I'm sure he felt good on the end of your line.

Your pic. of the rattler shows the yellow color on him real well, that's how yellow the one was that I posted on here last week, but the yellow ran alot higher up his sides. I was wondering..... do rattlers tend to darken as the heat rises? The one I saw was my first "live" one to see and I've spent 35yrs tromping around in the woods of ET. Would hate to know how many copper heads I've stepped over though...lol

Again, great pics.