Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-20-2010, 10:31 AM

now that we have photos I have new things to fear
Old 06-20-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Hackle View Post
It scares me when the river starts talking to me.
Lynn
Not to change the subject, but have you heard the voices at night when you're camped by the stream? Supposedly it's the Cherokees.

sb
Old 06-21-2010, 12:08 AM

My greatest fear is definitely spiders since I have never liked them at all. I have a similar beaver story to a lot of you alls. In April my dad and I were fishing a lake near our house for crappie and the particular spot we were fishing was a beaver hut in the water. We had seen the beavers all morning when one suddenly popped up on the bank about a foot away from us but he didnt realize we were standing their. Then, my dad poked it with his rod tip, and with a flick of its tail it swam off and left a wake trail.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:04 AM

If you're hearing the Cherokee, you're camping on Big Cove Rd. Just throw something toward town and tell 'em to keep it down.

Crockett - spending the night in the woods unexpectedly is every bit as bad as you think it might be....but you'll never forget it, I can promise you that!

For me, despite recent events, it's.....

Flying, buzzing insects, especially bees - yellow jackets, wasps or hornets. ( Not so much honey bees or bumble bees).

I will run, dance, flap my arms around, and ( worst of all) squeal like a little girl.

I. Hate. Bees.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:20 AM

I don't know if this was due to fly fishing or not, but insects no longer bother me. From the time I've spent on the stream studying insects to match the hatch, I've learned to appreciate insect life. As a matter of fact, I keep still whenever I feel something walking on me so I can take a look at it. Yesterday I had a bug crawl down my sleeve, and onto my arm, and it was up my forearm before I saw it was a brown recluse. I kept calm, and killed it. Not too often do I get to look at a brown recluse.

But I'd say sudden, unexpected events scare me most. I almost killed myself a couple years ago fishing the Cranberry River in WV. I was boulder hopping down to the river and fishing back to the campsite when I heard a rattle a couple feet above me in the rocks. I turned around, and tried to see it, or at least identify an approximate region it could be in. After a couple minutes, I decided to carefully head up the river, and then hop up to the trail above it. As I was climbing back up to the trail, a friggen lizard jumped out from the black abyss and I ditched all worldly possessions as I flung myself back over the boulders down toward the river. That didn't feel good... at all. I fell about ten feet, got bruised and bloodied, but nothing serious. I still cringe at the sight of that lizard flying past my face.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:49 AM

I do hear it at night, but most of the time its while I'm fishing it says thing like hey!!! or Wow or things Rick Flair would say its always been encouraging. I once caught a 22'' brown by just doing what the stream told me to do. Oh by the way I am completely sane and pretty low key guy. So dont let me scare you. Like the guy said Its the Cherokee's little people.
Lynn
Old 06-21-2010, 11:28 AM

I second Owl on the wasps and yellowjackets since i've gotten stung by way to many of them in my short life. I just can't believe I didn't think about them over the spiders instead.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:10 PM

Spiders for sure, don't like the little buggers! Snakes don't bother me atall, and I like to catch them.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
As I was climbing back up to the trail, a friggen lizard jumped out from the black abyss and I ditched all worldly possessions as I flung myself back over the boulders down toward the river.

I once almost stepped onto the back of a 4 ft. rattler on the blue ridge parkway at 3 am. Luckily for me, a foot was missing from the front and rear of the (now dead) snake. I still almost jumped three feet, straight back.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:22 PM

Snakes are an important part of any eco system. We would be overrun with vermin without them. I had one eat my fly one time. I reeled the line in to take the snake off and grabbed the snake to unhook it (last grasshopper I had) and it bit me 2 or 3 times with the fly still in it's mouth. I didn't know it then, but these water snakes have an anticoagulant in their bite. My hand bled like I had cut a vein.