Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 06-22-2010, 11:37 PM

A few weeks of 90 degree plus temperatures will do it. I'm like you Hans, I'd much rather throw the towel in and fish somewhere else. Too much stress on the trout. Looking at the long range forecasts (I'm a weather geek besides being a trout bum) it looks like cooler weather may be on the way towards the end of the month and into July. Cross your fingers.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:56 AM

Hans,
I wish more people employed your ethics. Once a stream has reached the upper 60's fish are starting to be stressed, 70+ for more than a couple hours a day can be deadly. Fish early and late, and carry a thermometer.

Last edited by flyman; 06-23-2010 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: 42
Old 06-23-2010, 02:28 PM

I try to do what I feel it's the right thing to do. I know it can be seen as putting a human face on a fish or thinking that a fish is a higher form of a living thing. It's actually more to it than that for me. It's just not sporstmanlike and to exhaust and play with the fish and then just release it to it's own demise. I just don't get anything out of that. I do however understand that for some people this is not a problem. I guess whatever your personal thing is, keep doing it as long as it is legal.

I think it would be ok to fish under those circumstances but mandatory kill should be the norm. Then when you got your limit you have to stop fishing. This would be more ethical in my opinion. Since the fish will mostly not make it during extreme warm water temps, at least with mandatory kill someone could get some use out of it. It's just a personal thing. I'm not that tore up about it, I'll just have a personal code I go by.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:11 PM

Not to hijack the thread but, if the weather cools a little next week, and a camper spot is available at River Valley Campground for a few days, I was thinking of fishing Straight Fork and the Oconoluftee above Smokemont somewhere. Never fished either of these places. Will water temperature be an issue at these two locations next week?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:15 PM

Good News, water temp will not be an issue on Straight Fork, shouldn't be an issue on the luftee either if you stay above Smokemont turn off. Lower down a couple of miles can be iffy on the luftee.

Just remember, Straight Fork is only open inside the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Last edited by tennswede; 06-23-2010 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: added more info
Old 06-23-2010, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the water temp info Hans.

I assume you mean I'll have to be off the Reservation before I fish Straight Fork. Is there a sign when leaving the Reservation and entering the Park on Straight Fork Road?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:03 PM

ONe More Cast--There is only a short stretch of Straight Fork on the Res. Once you pass the tribal fish hatchery you will see, immediately, a sign marking the Park boundary. From there upstream you are good to go. For several miles the road closely parallels the stream before crossing the "million dollar bridge" as the road heads towrds Heintooga Overlook. At that point it becomes one way and upstream of the bridge there is no trail on Straight Fork. There is an old logging railroad grade but it is badly overgrown. The stream is also difficult in many spots above the bridge thanks to down hemlocks. Set against those negatives is fine fishing for specks. The stream may also be the easiest place on either side of the Park to catch a Smoky Mountain Slam.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Jim
Old 06-23-2010, 09:23 PM

There is a sign and a gate right past the hatchery. I like to fish it where it leaves the road for a short ways before the bridge. It has some fall to it in that area and the water will be better oxygenated, and probably will hold a few more fish than the lower section right by the road.

Jim I remember that low water concrete bridge, I always felt that was an accident waiting to happen. Here is what a Million bucks looks like.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:51 PM

Jim,
Thank you for the information on Straight Fork. I have read your postings on other subjects on this board. I need to read your book.

Flyman,
Thanks.

Board,
My apologies. Now the board can return to the polite water temp and fish stress ethics discussion that I so rudely interrupted.

Last edited by one more cast; 06-23-2010 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: Adding more info
Old 06-23-2010, 09:54 PM

Jim pretty much summed it up, yes what I meant is the fact that Straight Fork outside the park is for tribal members only. No fishing license sold to the public. Like Jim said, you have plenty of water inside the park to play with.