Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-20-2010, 09:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite
Default strait fork/trophy section of cherokee

Saturday I fished the trait Fork starting around 8:30 or so. Much to my suprise there was hardly anyone else fishing up there, and most of thhee other people that came to fish got there mid afternoon. I started out down low, anf right from the start started catching decent bows and browns. I went with the trusty stimulator with a pheasant tail under it, almost all of the fish took the dropper. I fished the lower section for a while then decided I wanted to catch some brookies, So I drove up the road and parked near the new bridge that crosses the creek. The creek really gets tiny up there, but has amazing character...Undercut banks, root systems in soe of the pools, and nice little riffles. I switched to some smaller flies and did really well on the brookies, the biggest of which was about 7 inches.

Around 3 I figured I'd hit the trophy section and see if I could catch a monster to end the day. If you havent been to the trophy section in a while let me inform you...Its harder fishing right now... But not impossible. I caught about 8 "smaller fish" around 10 inches or so, one good one about 18 inches or so, and 2 absolute pigs, that must have gone about 24. Thank you to the fellow who let me borrow his net twice! Guess I need to start carrying a net on that river.. The bigger fish came from the whitewater that was around knee deep or so, and the smaller ones were just scattered around. The waater temp that far down reached 68 around 5 in thee pm or so.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:29 PM

I will be going to Cherokee NC this Tuesday and Wednesday. I would love to catch some monster trout in the catch and release section. I am going with a first time fly fisher, so for this trip I just want to catch fish regardless of size. This will be my first trip and any advice would be appreciated. I have no clue where to start. We will be staying at the KOA. Any fly shops around that I could go check out to get advice that you all would recommend? Or if you all have any advice that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Charles
Old 06-20-2010, 09:42 PM

Hmmm, I was on Straight Fork on Saturday at the same time and at the same place. I thought it was a little too slow,

As for the trophy section, see my post under "Fly Fishing In Other States, for my experience yesterday.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:52 PM

Charles--The folks at Rivers Edge in Cherokee are knowledgable and closely attuned to local conditions.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 06-20-2010, 09:57 PM

Thanks Jim! I'll definitely check them out.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:23 PM

Default tennswede..

Out of curiosity what were you driving? Just wondering if I saw you on the strait fork, thats all.. Its odd how fishin can be slow for some and good for others, but I guess it happens because we all have our own styles. I like fast water, don't fish in too many holes without alot of white water and bubbles. Unless however it is a stream without such water, much like upper strait fork. Up high on that creek i just stuck to the riffles..

The water temp was concerning on the trophy section, and I will also not be going back until the fall. However, I am confident that the fish that I caught all survived. I used 5x (a rarity for me, I like 6x) and horsed the fish in quickly. I also was sure not to rush the release of the fish, allowing plenty of time for them to "catch their breathe". Had I of known the water would be that warm, I would have never left the Strait Fork.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:07 PM

I'm driving an old Ford Ranger. I caught some fish but it felt like I was fishing behind someone. I think you might have been above me and then left. I was on the upper end between 11 ish and 1 ish. I fished the lower end first thing in the morning. I spoke to one spin fisherman Saturday. I fished Bunches in the afternoon. On Sunday I fished the lower end on Straight Fork first thing in the morning and did better. It just felt like something was amiss on Saturday.

Straight fork is a gem and I won't discuss too much more on the internet about it. If you ever need a buddy on some of these creeks, give me a holler.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:04 PM

I would love someone to fish with, as I almost always fish alone. Mostly due to the fact that I don't know anyone else who really fishes seriously like I do. Im sure you have some other streams you like as do I, and if you want to hit some of them sometime, give me a shout.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:35 PM

Default 2weightfavorite

If you ever want to get in touch for some mountain fishing here's my email: ahlstedt@knology.net
Old 06-24-2010, 07:20 AM

I may be headed that way in the morning; how were the water temps on Straight?