Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 06-22-2010, 03:35 PM

Default New reel suggestion

I'm buying another outfit, and want a cheap, quality reel. On LRO, I'm looking at the Orvis Clearwater IV for $49 or the Ross Flystarts 3 or 4 for $60 and $65 respectively.

I've got an Orvis BBS III on my 5 WT, and enjoy it immensely, but I don't want to drop another $100+ on a reel. Should I buy another spool for it? At $59 for a new spool, I figure I might as well buy a completely new reel.

Keep in mind that I am a college student, and this is going to be a pricey purchase for me. I've got limited money, and I don't want to get a job until I leave for the Air Force after this summer.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:57 PM

"and want a cheap, quality reel."

You should meet my wife, who wants something great, but always for cheap. LOL

As to the Orvis or Ross, find them somewhere and fiddle with them. For me, it's always been an easier choice if I can get my hands on a reel before buying.

As for going into the AF - thank you, and God Bless you! America needs young people who are willing to serve.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:15 PM

I need to make a day trip to go fish in the Smokies soon, I could always stop by LRO. Cumberland Transit doesn't have as big of a selection, so I don't know if they'd have these reels.

I know the saying "you get what you pay for" and believe in it, but I also know there are those exceptions that are worth their weight in gold. Paintball is another hobby of mine, and I know the $1000+ guns are wicked, but I also know of a few sub-$500 guns that perform just as well.

Thanks for your support, I hope I can make it through basic. I dislocated my knee 3 years ago and it's still giving me trouble.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:42 PM

I bought an Orvis Clearwater and have been somewhat disappointed, I actually like my Cabela's Prestige Plus reel better for the same money.
Tad
Old 06-22-2010, 07:45 PM

Any reason for that? Elaborate please.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:22 PM

The drag is not very smooth so line doesn't come off well and it's very noisy so I had to switch the click pawl position to quiet it down. When you reel in the line there is always a little slack before the drag catches. Mine is a Clearwater II and it's on a 3 wt TFO so it's not a big deal it's not like I'm fighting fish on the reel, i was just a little disappointed after I put it on my rod. But go try some out, I'm sure LRO could spool some reels up for you to try.
Tad
Old 06-22-2010, 09:38 PM

Look into one of the temple fork reels or one of the lamson KOnnics.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:35 PM

I have one of the Ross Flystart reels and it's a decent reel for the money. Drag is passable, it's well built and it's given me no problems. It's been dropped and banged up a bit but it stil lkeeps on working.

The drag adjustment isn't as fine as say my Ross Evo or Ross Rhythm reels, but it's a perfectly functional reel.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
Old 06-23-2010, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlshealy View Post
The drag is not very smooth so line doesn't come off well and it's very noisy so I had to switch the click pawl position to quiet it down. When you reel in the line there is always a little slack before the drag catches. Mine is a Clearwater II and it's on a 3 wt TFO so it's not a big deal it's not like I'm fighting fish on the reel, i was just a little disappointed after I put it on my rod. But go try some out, I'm sure LRO could spool some reels up for you to try.
Tad
Thanks for the heads up. This is going on a 7 WT, so a decent drag is kind of important...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyred06 View Post
Look into one of the temple fork reels or one of the lamson KOnnics.
I think those are out of my price range? Noted anyways, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
I have one of the Ross Flystart reels and it's a decent reel for the money. Drag is passable, it's well built and it's given me no problems. It's been dropped and banged up a bit but it stil lkeeps on working.

The drag adjustment isn't as fine as say my Ross Evo or Ross Rhythm reels, but it's a perfectly functional reel.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
Certainly does! Thanks!
Old 06-23-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
I'm buying another outfit, and want a cheap, quality reel.
I would ask myself what you plan on doing with this new set-up? Is it going to be an all around set-up or something specialized. That should help you focus some of the particulars in deciding on a reel.

My recommendation would be to buy an economy reel with extra spools. I do not like unseating my reel too much. Not sure why; probably just the laziness of me... I do like being able to quickly release the spool and drop in a different line set-up for streamer, color change, etc.

Also, I am pretty hard and demanding on my equipment. I drop the reel in the water and rest it on rocks often. I would be a bit different if I had a nice Tibor Reel or something in that range. But, I purposely do not use a set up like that so that I can be more free to fish.

I would wiggle the spool and see if it has any play. If it does; bad choice. Your line will get hung in the frame eventually. Take the spool off the reel and look at the drag mechanics. Little cheap springs and thin levers break easily. Also, I like vented openings and holes for quick drying of my line. Not a big fan of closed systems. Fat-body reels seem to kink up my line when I am stripping of line in a hurry.

For someone on a college budget; I believe this is the best fly reel out there and extremely durable.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...001000_175-1-0
to choose, to respond, to change.”