Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 06-23-2010, 11:52 AM

I have a clearwater and a bbs3. I would buy another spool for the bbs3 if I were you. Smoky Mountain Angler had a good sale: 50% off any reels that were changed from last years models. I just bought a Lamson Velocity half price there and like it much more than the bbs.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:12 PM

I would buy another spool. No reason to downgrade in reels when you can just buy another spool and use a nicer reel. Search on google and you can also find the spools cheaper.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:41 PM

If you are going to use a double taper line that BBS III may not leave you much room for backing. A weight forward 7 will help, but you still may not have much backing. I'd check on that before purchase. If you are comfortable with the line capacity, then I would o the spare spool route. Silvercreek
Old 06-23-2010, 12:47 PM

If you want cheap quality , then get a China made Pflueger Medalist for about $30. If you want a good quality LA reel for under $50 that will handle bass, carp and smaller stripers, then get a BPS Hobbs Creek for $40.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...SELL_THUMBNAIL
Old 06-23-2010, 03:55 PM

Alright here's my thoughts. I'm looking to put together a 7 WT combo that is reasonably priced, but is worth it's dollar value. I don't want to pay $30-$50 if it's not going to last me more than a season reliably. I'll pay the extra $50+ dollars just to have a dependable reel.

I'm planning on using streamers for large browns, fishing for carp/buffalo, and chasing stripers with Mr. Knapp. I may also be visiting my aunt in Ohio, which has steelhead, so that may be a future use for the 7 WT.

David brought up the point that I need a good drag, so I might as well buy a more expensive reel now to save me the anguish of losing a fish because of a broken reel.

I know there are those certain rods and reels that hold their own against higher priced gear. My setup right now is a TFO Pro 9' 5 WT, Orvis BBS III, and Orvis Easy Mend line. It's PERFECT, wonderful to cast and use, and I definitely didn't break the bank. The TFO Pro is a lot of rod for $150, and is comparable to $300+ rods as far as quality and ease of casting goes.

I'm looking at possibly getting another TFO Pro because I've been so happy with mine, but I'd kinda like some variation with my new setup. So I've also been looking at St. Croix Imperial rods, I've heard they're very similar to Sage rods.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:15 AM

I know it's out of your price range but this year I got a Lamson Konic 7-8wt. for $139. I did alot of looking around and 5 star reviews everywhere I looked. A guy that works at LRO told me he thought it had just as good of drag if not better than the the Orvis Battenkill I was also looking at priced at $240. I love this reel just havn't got to hook into a big whipper yet to try the drag out lol. Hope this helps since you said you'd rather spend 50 more and get a better quality reel.

And the armed forces are way under payed in my opinion. My brother in law was in the army and he is goin to collage right now and it takes him every penny 2 get by.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:22 PM

I've pretty much settled on the Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor IV, it's $149 and comes in multiple colors, which I like.

I agree about military pay, but you also live for free... Yeah, I might make $1500 a month, but everything is free except for car insurance and car payments. It's a very manageable life. And did he not get the GI Bill? That's $50,000 for college. Did he live a lavish life while enlisted, and not save? That's what a couple of my buddies did, buy cars, alcohol, and have girlfriends every week. They lived like kings for 4 years, but had nothing to show for it after.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:38 PM

I guess you could say he did some of that stuff and I hate to say it about him since he was my best friend before I married his sister now in law I think hes just to lazy to work LOL. Glad to see a soldier with his head on his shoulders.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:02 PM

I mean, I'm gonna do a lot of that, but I'm also going to save at least $2,000 a year. One of the only things that stuck with me through all 4 years of high school was compound interest. There was a poster on my Algebra I room's door, freshman year, that had two columns. One was a boy who saved $2,000 every year since he was 19, until the age of 26. The other column was a different boy who didn't save until he was 26, and put in $2,000 until he retired, and never came close to the total the first boy had.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:23 PM

I'd check out the redington reels. Redington makes decent stuff.